Thursday, April 11, 2024

The OC Weekly Has Brought Me to Taqueria El Zamorano in 2024


 Taqueria El Zamorano

925 West Warner Ave. 

Santa Ana, Ca 92707


I miss the OC Weekly. From the time I started this blog until now, that free paper I'd pick up outside my local liquor store would give me plenty of tips about where I should be eating. OC Weekly had the best collection of food writers ever assembled in OC. While my other favorite source for OC restaurant news, Orange Coast Magazine, highlights more mainstream/well-known restaurants, the OC Weekly usually showcased out-of-the-way, hole-in-the-wall spots. These restaurants are ones I would never have heard about and placed on my restaurant wishlist, like Taqueria El Zamorano. 

My friend from work, George, is a big fan of this place. He's been coming to Taqueria El Zamorano for years and wanted to be here to share my first visit. El Zamorano opened its doors in 1997 and gained great praise from the people of Santa Ana for their tacos and burritos until a fire closed them down in 2005. They rose from the ashes (pun intended) in 2014 and are now one of the top-rated taquerias in Santa Ana. They opened another location in Costa Mesa six years ago, and a few years later, it was converted into a vegan taqueria. 

This original El Zamorano is near the corner of Warner and Flower Street in a blink, and you'll miss it spot.  The white building resembles someone's house, and it's set slightly back from the street, which adds to the aloofness of this restaurant. There are only five spaces in the cramped parking lot, so snagging one of the spots during lunchtime could get tricky. Be advised that they are only open from 8 til 4 pm and are closed on Mondays, so eating here for dinner is not an option. 

The menu starts with some breakfast items I have heard good things about. Then there are tacos, tortas, burritos, combo plates, quesadillas, and some starters. They have some nice video screens above their register that show their menu, but they have tape over most prices with the correct prices written on the tape. Most prices hover around the $10 mark, while tacos go between $3.50 and $3.99. We ordered rather quickly, and since we were the only ones here, we had the pick of any table we wanted while we waited for our food to arrive, which took less than five minutes. 



A few reviews ago, I mentioned my friend George and how he is the most basic eater I've known. No cilantro, onions, pico, or salsa on tacos. He's been coming to El Zamorano since childhood and still eats like one. Kidding, George, kind of. When we visited here together, he got the Asada Torta ($10.99). Typically, the tortas come with mayo, tomato, lettuce, onion, avocado, salsa, and beans. His torta came without onion, avocado, and salsa. He likes that they grill the telera roll to give it a little crunch, and the cubed asada had some excellent grill marks. I'd like to get a torta the next time I'm here, but I'd get the carnitas and ask for extra beans. He probably got the fries as a side item, as there was no mention of a side coming with this.  







Yes, six tacos might seem excessive, but I wanted to try as many of the meats as possible, and I was unsure of when the next time I would be here. It was a thing of beauty the way they fanned the tacos around the plate. From the one o'clock position on the plate, I tried the Birria ($3.50), Asada ($3.50), Carnitas ($3.50), Chorizo ($3.50), Pastor ($3.50), and Tripas ($3.99). There was not a bad one in the bunch. If I had to pick, my top three were the pastor, tripas, and carnitas. These meats shined, were flavorful, and went well with the provided onions, cilantro, and salsa. The tortillas are remarkable here. They were really soft, but they held the contents of the tacos admirably. They seemed handmade, but I wonder if they make them here. Taste like it, though. 


I ordered a Carnitas Burrito ($9.99) for dinner later. The burritos at El Zamorano come with beans, rice, cilantro, onion, and, of course, a choice of meat. I should have taken a picture of the burrito before I cut into it, but you'll have to trust me that it was approximately eight or nine inches long and had a good amount of girth. Unfortunately, there were some issues with it. Too much rice was included, pushing the carnitas and beans to the side. It's a decent burrito, but I expected more from this. 

The tacos at Taqueria El Zamorano are enough to get me to come back. They were some of the best I've had in a long time. I just wish this restaurant was more convenient. It is only open until 4 pm, closed on Sundays, and, as of recently, I learned they have switched to being cash only. It will take some planning, but I'll return here soon to try their breakfast burritos, chilaquiles, shrimp tacos, and hard-shelled potato tacos. I'm glad I had the foresight to write down this place that was recommended to me by the good folks at the OC Weekly all those years ago. My hope is fading that they will come back, but at least I still have some of their restaurant suggestions on my list to explore. 

Out of five cans of soup (because the city of Santa Ana was founded in 1869, the same year as the Campbell Soup Company came into existence, and they sell 440 million cans of soup a year), five being best to zero being worst, Taqueria El Zamorano gets 3 cans of soup.  

Taqueria El Zamorano does not have a website, but click here for their Yelp page: https://www.yelp.com/biz/taqueria-el-zamorano-santa-ana

No comments:

Post a Comment