Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Adding Renata to the List of Great Restaurants in Downtown Orange?


 Renata's Cafe Italiano

227 East Chapman Avenue 

Orange, CA 92866

Downtown Orange is the hottest spot for restaurants in OC right now. In the last year or so, a bunch of popular restaurants from other parts of the county have opened up here: Bosscat Kitchen, Finney's Crafthouse, Pandor Bakery, Urth Caffe, and Snooze, an A.M. Eatery, to name a few. These join the old stalwarts like Haven Craft Kitchen, Citrus City Grill, Smoqued BBQ, and my favorite, Gabbi's Mexican Kitchen. With so many great spots in a condensed area, it's easy to overlook a couple restaurants like the one we would be eating at tonight, Renata's Cafe Italiano. 

Okay, full disclosure. Renata's has been around for nearly 30 years, and I had just heard of it when I went through Yelp trying to find a place to eat with my parents. My bad, but in my defense, I rarely visit this part of the plaza district. There are a couple of government buildings, like the city hall, library, parks and rec offices, and a couple of tea rooms, but that's mostly it around here. Not anywhere I would ever really seek out. So, I was hoping Renata's would be a hidden gem. 

As I mentioned, they have been here for 30 years and have a three-and-a-half star rating on Yelp and over 300 reviews. Their menu is divided into starters, soups, salads, specialties of the house, pasta dishes, ravioli, and more substantial meals featuring steak and seafood offerings. Most entrees hover around the $20 price point, with the most expensive item on the menu being the filet mignon at $25. That's pretty reasonable at this point in time. 

We had no reservation when we showed up on a Friday evening at 6, but only a few people were eating here, and we got seated on their patio immediately. The patio was incredibly dark, warm, and stuffy, as the ceiling fans did little to make it cooler. This is something to note as we enter the warmer part of the year in the upcoming months. Our server greeted us promptly, and we ordered in quick succession. Here's how the evening went for us at Renata's. 


Instead of starting with one of the dozen starters that Renatas lists on their menu, we selected the Garlic Bread ($4.95) to start off with. The six pieces of bread came with plenty of garlic and butter and warmed just enough from under the broiler. This is not a knock on them because I love it, but this reminded me of the Lawry's garlic spread my mom put on French bread while we were growing up. I'm sure they used fresh garlic and added some herbs, but this made me sentimental for simpler times of my youth. 



Salads are not included with meals here, but a House Salad can be added for $1.99, while a Caesar Salad can be added for $3.99 with any entree. Again, this is very reasonable. The house salad comes with mixed greens, shredded carrots and red cabbage, sliced tomatoes and cucumbers, croutons, and a choice of dressing. Katie selected the balsamic vinaigrette and was pleased with her choice. She liked the freshness of the salad but admitted this was a pretty basic salad. 

I can not resist a Caesar, and this one was satisfying. The dressing was liberally applied to each piece of romaine, so it was a balanced salad. I also enjoyed that they added a decent amount of parmesan cheese to the top of this salad. A few more croutons than the four I was given and a tad less tanginess to the Caesar dressing would have made this even better. 


It's definitely not the most picturesque dish ever, but my dad was pleased with this Cannelloni di Carne ($15.95). The rolled pasta was filled with meat and topped with a bit of cheese, then baked in a white creamy sauce. My dad is not very forthcoming with letting me try his food, so I'm unsure what meat was included here and if the sauce was alfredo or another white sauce. He finished this plate rather quickly, which has not happened lately. Even with his diminished appetite, he sang this cannelloni's prices to me the next day in an email. 


This colorful plate came to our table and was sat in front of Katie. She was impressed with this Tortellini alla Panna ($16.95). The tri-colored tortellini pasta was nicely cooked, and the mushroom cream sauce was a nice compliment. She liked the lightness, as she thought the sauce would be heavier than it actually was. She'd get this again. 


I am a big fan of saltimbocca and decided to try it here at Renata's. The Chicken Saltimbocca alla Romana was layered with prosciutto, sage, cheese, and a marsala wine sauce.  I was less than thrilled with this. The chicken was not tender, the cheese and prosciutto did not stand out, and the marsala sauce was too thin and watery. The veggies were bland, and this dish's best part was the spaghetti marinara side. I went home disappointed. 

It's no mystery what my mom is having in an Italian restaurant when Arrabbiata ($14.95) is on the menu. It's weird to me that she is not a fan of other spicy foods, except for Arrabbiata. This version at Renata's was indeed spicy. She got to choose the kind of pasta she wanted with this, and she went with capellini, which allowed the sauce to cling to it well. It was a big enough serving that my mom took home half of it for my dad's lunch the next day.  

Okay, everyone except myself really liked what they had at Renata's. Maybe I got the wrong thing, or I've had some excellent Italian food recently, clouding my judgment about this place. I just wasn't impressed with Renata's. Looking back over the notes I took after this evening, I was even harsher about my experience than I am writing this review a few months later. Since everyone else enjoyed their meals, I decided to scale back my disdain for this restaurant. It's okay Italian food, the prices are very reasonable, and the service was adequate. It's not a glowing review, and I'm sure you will not be surprised that Renata's will not make it onto my list of great restaurants in Downtown Orange. 

Out of five Swatch watches (because this famous watch brand from the 80s is still around and all of their watch batteries are made by another Swiss company named Renata), five being best to zero being worst, Renata's Cafe Italiano gets 2.5 Swatch watches. 

For more information about Renata's Cafe Italiano, head to their website by clicking here: https://www.renatascafe.com/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment