Thursday, March 14, 2024

JD’s, King of the Wing?


 JD's Wingz

117 East Chapman Avenue

Placentia, CA 92870


Except for pizza and burgers, I get asked most about where to find the best wings. I'm not the world's biggest chicken fan, but I like chicken wings, especially when watching sports. My competitive eating days are mostly behind me, but my last contest was with some punk from work about who could eat the most wings in one sitting. I quickly mopped the floor with the kid, and my finishing total was 71 wings in less than an hour.  

Okay, back to my point. When people ask me where to get wings, I recommend Santora's across from Saddleback College in Mission Viejo, SoCal Wings in Westminster, and Krave in Irvine. This Korean fusion restaurant makes some excellent wings that will not disappoint. As for the chains, I enjoy Epic Wings and Fire Wings but try to avoid Buffalo Wild Wings at all costs. Even though they have over twenty choices of sauces and dry rubs, their chicken is average at best, and the rest of their menu is way worse than that. 

I learned about JD's Wingz through Instagram when they contacted me for a visit. We had trouble connecting, but I added them to my list of restaurants to try. A few months later, I finally made it here when I was up this way for a dentist appointment. They are located in the shopping center at the corner of Bradford and Chapman Avenues, in Placentia, right by the water tower. 

JD's opened for business in August of 2021 and is run by MMA fighter Christian Aguilera. Christian is a native of Whittier and has exchanged the octagon for this small storefront where he sells baked wings, chicken sandwiches, and sides. Yes, you read that right, baked wings. I'm always skeptical about baked wings because I like the skin to be extra crispy. I know frying is not the healthiest way to go, but wings are not something I have every day, although I would not be opposed to it. Let's see if these baked wings can satisfy like fried wings do. 




Yes, to answer your question I was eating alone, and yes, I did eat all of this while I was at JD's. Going to the dentist makes me hungry; what can I say? I got the 5 Wing Combo ($16.96), which comes with one flavor of wings, a side item, and a drink. I also got 5 Wings Ala Carte ($10.25) just for a little more variety. One ranch was free with my combo meal, while the other cost me $.80. 

I selected the OG Hot flavor with Tater Tots as my side for my combo meal. The first thing I noticed when these were placed in front of me was that they seemed bigger than other wings. There was lots of meat included here, and the manageable spicy sauce covered every inch of the wings. Maybe they were bigger because they were not fried and did not shrink up like their fried cousins seem to. The meat underneath was moist and tender, and I enjoyed how the sauce dried into the skin after cooling off so they were less messy to eat. The tater tots were baked nicely and had a slight crunch, but other than that, they did not really stand out from others I've had. Next time, I'd try their loaded tots or the coleslaw, which people love. 

My garlic parmesan wings were good, but the garlic and parm dry rub did not stick to the wing when I picked it up or dipped it in their magnificent ranch. Luckily, they put lots of the dry rub on here, which still provided plenty of flavor to the outside of the wing. I'm always partial to garlic parmesan on wings, but I'd like to try their mango habanero, creole BBQ, or lemon pepper on my future visits to JD's. 

JD's Wingz has made me a convert to baked chicken wings. There are pros and cons to both fried and baked wings, but there's room for both in the world of chicken wings. You don't get quite as crunchy skin with the baked, but the chicken underneath is more moist and tender. The sauces and rubs were a great complement to the chicken, and with 14 available, there's definitely one you're going to enjoy. Not a fan of wings. They also have a chicken sandwich and their version of boneless wings, a chicken meatball ground in-house, and topped with any rubs or sauces. Sounds interesting. I'll definitely add JD's Wingz to my response when people ask me where to find good wings in OC.   

Out of five title belts (because the owner of JD's was an MMA fighter and the goal of any fighter is a title belt), five being best to zero being worst, JD'sWingz gets 3 title belts. 

For more information about JD's Wingz, head to their website by clicking here:https://www.jdswingz.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment