Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Checking Out the Pace at Tempo Cantina

 


Tempo Cantina

1060 East Imperial Highway

Brea, CA 92821


My work life improved when my last boss waltzed into the retirement sunset with below-average managerial and people skills. He not only killed morale, but he killed the business. Enter Melissa, who brought a new aura to our workplace. She made people actually want to work for her. Of course, this would be brown-nosing, but she rarely reads my blog, preferring to just check out my Instagram feed. 

I bring this up because I had checked out in those dark times and never would have imagined going out to dinner with coworkers. I could not stand anything about my workplace, even though I liked some of my coworkers. But, fast forward a year into this new regime, and here I was, finding myself having dinner with my coworkers/friends at Tempo Cantina in Brea. 

Much like my different feelings about my job, I'd say that Tempo has also gone through a metamorphosis since it opened back in 2014. Back then, they were probably best described as a molecular restaurant with a regularly changed menu. Many top-rated OC chefs have been part of the Tempo team at one time or another. I think I'd describe their menu now as Mexican, with some fusion items thrown in from Asia, the US, and other areas of Latin America. 

The man behind this restaurant and his many other ventures is Jorge Cueva, known more commonly on social media as Mr. Tempo. He came to the US not speaking a word of English and now helms a restaurant empire that includes three locations of Tempo Cantina (Brea, Anaheim Hills, and Downey) and King and Queen Cantina, which boasts locations in San Diego, Valle De Guadalupe Mexico, and his newest spot up north a bit in Santa Monica. He also has plans for restaurants in New York, Hawaii, Miami, and other international locations in the works as well. 

Back here in Brea, our group of seven had reservations at 5pm on a recent Saturday evening. During these turbulent times, tables have been moved outside into the front of the restaurant. Tempo Cantina was packed this evening with very long wait times for tables. They had a 90-minute limit for each party, but they did not seem to enforce this, as we were probably here for a total of two hours. The vibe here was a party atmosphere, which I admit was refreshing, as it reminded me of what it was like pre-pandemic. To be clear, servers were wearing gloves, masks, and tables were spaced out rather well. 

The Tempo dinner menu was almost bordering on overwhelming. There were so many things to choose from. Tacos, burritos, and starters take up a whole page of the two-page menu. Seafood and meat entrees, fusion sushi rolls, and meals for two people are included on the other page. Prices range between $10 to $20 for most items, with the platters for two getting a little more pricey, like the ribeye for $60 or the forty-ounce tomahawk steak for $110. A little rich for my blood, but let's check out what we indulged in this evening.  


I did not partake in this Margarita Flight ($25), instead having my usual rum and coke, but I liked this picture and wanted to share it. This flight included flavors of cucumber, watermelon, pomegranate, mango, and Gardez, which is a mango-pineapple-Serrano mashup. All were garnished with Tajin around the rim. A perfect choice for those that are indecisive or want to try a little bit of everything. 



Mike and his wife Jessica started things off with this Guacamole and Chips ($12). The guacamole was made with tomatoes, onions, and queso fresco crumbles. It was fresh, but more seasoning would have been appreciated to boost the flavor. I was also surprised that the serving size was so small compared to the price. The chips were fresh and had an excellent crunch, while the salsa that came with this was fine but did not stand out too much from my memory or notes. 



Katie must have been hungry because she had a big meal, but she wanted to try the Shishito Peppers ($9) at Tempo. These peppers were blistered, came with a soy glaze, and were salted. There were also a couple of dots of lime crema for dipping. I liked this but did have some qualms with it. The peppers themselves were excellent, and I really liked the kiss of soy glaze that each one had. I did not get any scorching ones, but Katie felt a little kick from some she had. I had wished that instead of being so cute with the plating, they would have just put the lime crema in a dipping cup so it could have been used to its full potential. Still a solid starter

Sorry, it's not the best picture ever, but Melissa was very hungry, and I did not want to lose a finger as she was very excited to dig into these Cueva Tacos ($15). Named after their owner, these three shrimp tacos came dressed with serrano sauce, lime crema, cabbage, micro cilantro, and a crispy cheese flour tortilla. I got to have one of these, which was very good. The chipotle shrimp was tender, and the rest of the things in the taco complemented the shrimp well. I'm always a big fan of crispy cheese, and this version did not disappoint at Tempo. I'd like to try some of their other tacos next time I'm here, like their Mr. Tempo taco with pork belly and shrimp. It sounds delicious and decadent. 

I'm not saying that Mike is cheap, but he probably spent his monthly food budget on this Sope Trio ($14) that he and Jessica split. This trio included one each of an asada, pork belly, and chicken sope topped with beans, lime crema, pickled onions, pico de gallo, and queso fresco. No complaints from the happy couple about their meal, probably because Jessica is used to having to split meals with him. Come on, Mike, splurge a little. 


I told you that Katie had a big meal coming, and here it is. This Fajita Grill ($38) could feed two with no problem. This fajita platter came with asada, chicken, and seasonal grilled veggies, including nopal, saffron rice, a side of beans, guacamole, and corn tortillas. Both proteins were pretty good, had enough seasonings to stand independently, and went well with the provided accompaniments. A nice deviation from the tired fajitas with the bland onions and peppers you can get at almost every other Mexican spot in OC.  

Since Katie was going to need some help finishing her meal, I just got these Tinga Taquitos ($12). These came in three to an order and were rolled with chicken and topped with pickled red onion, radish, and a sprinkling of pecorino cheese. They were fried nicely, but what made these for me was the trio of sauces that came with them. The serrano sauce, lime crema, and chipotle aioli were superb and a nice change-up from bite to bite.  

Enrique is a big wing fan, as I've seen him have plenty of wings on his lunch break over the last year. So it was no surprise he went with the Pow Pow Wings ($12) this evening. These six wings came with a garlic chipotle sauce, and I noticed no dipping sauce from my view from the other end of the table. The wings looked good-sized, but at $2 per wing, the price point is a bit too high, but Enrique is a big baller and probably just scoffed at the price. 

I liked this visit to Tempo even better than the last time I went to the Anaheim Hills location. Sometimes when the bar program seems like the focal point of a restaurant, the food suffers. That was not the case at Tempo based on this visit. The food was all delicious and unique. Tempo Cantina is definitely not your typical Mexcian restaurant. Yes, the prices are a tad high, but I'd consider this restaurant a special occasion spot instead of an every-week place. I feel that they are coming into their own after many incarnations of their food. Service was pretty good when you consider how busy they were. I'm so happy that my work life has turned around enough that I can go out to dinner with the people I work with, and even more pleased that I can call them friends.  

Out of five windshield wipers (because the Ford Tempo was a car sold between 1984 to 1993, and if you still have one, you've probably gone through a whole bunch of windshield wipers), five being best to zero being worst, Tempo Cantina gets 3 solid windshield wipers. 

For more information on Tempo Cantina, head to their website here: https://tempocantina.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment