Wednesday, October 9, 2024

Turning the Balboa Fun Zone Into the Burger Zone


 Irv's Burgers

600 East Bay Avenue

Newport Beach, CA 92661


I love burgers, but finding delicious ones is getting harder and harder. Yes, I could go to a steak house, and I'm sure they will have a good burger, but who wants to get all dressed up for a burger. About ten years ago, I could throw a rock in any direction and hit a restaurant that serves a great burger. We had Slater's 50/50, Burger Parlor, Crow Burger Kitchen, G Burger, Mick's Karma Bar, and Vaka Burger, all serving great burgers, but they have all shuttered. They probably were all replaced with a hot chicken restaurant, or at least it feels that way. 

So when I hear about a new burger place opening up, it piques my interest. When I heard that the new burger place had been around for 78 years, I immediately moved it up in my restaurant queue. What got me moving even faster is that the new burger restaurant is located at one of my favorite places in all of OC, the Balboa Fun Zone. A spot that instantly transforms me into an eight-year-old kid playing skeeball in the arcades, riding the Ferris wheel that I swear used to be taller, and eating as many Balboa Bars as humanly possible. 

Irv's Burgers is the new burger spot in Balboa. They opened their first OC outpost in March of this year. They opened in 1946 as Queen's Burgers alongside Route 66 in West Hollywood. In 1970, a man named Irv bought the place and changed its name. He sold the business to the Hong family in 2005, and they operated it until they had some troubles in 2018 and were forced to close. Food entrepreneur Lawrence Longo entered the picture four years later and, after a rebrand, breathed new life into Irv's. They now have seven locations, including ours at the Balboa Fun Zone. 

I visited Irv's before the busy tourist season in Newport. Although they had been open only a month, they already had a steady stream of customers. They are a mere few feet from the Balboa Ferry and the Ferris Wheel I mentioned before. This used to be a pizza place, but I had never been there, always preferring the Ruby's at the end of the pier or the Orange Julius that used to be on the corner of Balboa Boulevard. The seating at Irv's is limited to six swiveling barstools, and I did not see any seating outside on my visit. Plan ahead and bring a blanket and eat on the sand or in the nearby park. 

The menu at Irv's fits right in with the Fun Zone vibe. They offer burgers, hot dogs, sandwiches, fries, milkshakes, and floats. Burgers go from anywhere between $4.50 to $11, hot dogs are $5 to $8 for a chili cheese dog, and the most expensive thing on their menu is the pastrami sandwich, which will set you back $15. Combo meals are available. This location also serves breakfast sandwiches and burritos until 11am. I was here, of course, to try their burgers, so let's see how my first visit to Irv's went. 




I was lucky enough to snag one of the six sets at the bar, with a window looking out towards the busy boardwalk. It was excellent for people-watching, but once my food tray arrived, I only had eyes for what was on it. Let's start with the burger. When a burger proclaims itself the best, I need to order it, so I got the Best Burger on the Menu ($10.95) on my maiden voyage to Irv's. This double burger comes with American cheese, grilled onions, and Irv's sauce, all on a toasted sesame seed bun. Who needs lettuce and tomato on a burger? Not me. This is no salad bar. I enjoyed this burger but will tweak it on my next visit. The outer edge of the patties had a slight crispness to them, like a smash burger, but to a lesser degree. The patties inside were juicy and more hefty than you get with a smash burger. The gooey cheese provided a nice blanket around each patty. I will ask for extra Irv's sauce next time, as I can not even describe it because they put so little on this burger. I assume it's like a thousand island sauce, but I'll have to make a return visit to confirm that. The bun was loaded with sesame seeds and was nicely toasted. Delicious burger, check. ✅



Hot dogs must be a tough sell. Every time I find an excellent hot dog restaurant, it closes. I guess there are not too many hot dog fans out there. Maybe trying this Chili Cheese Dog ($8) from Irv's might change their minds. Irv's uses Hebrew National all-beef hot dogs and then covers it with chili and shredded cheddar cheese. I loved the meatiness of the hot dog, the flavorful chili, and the fact that they use grated cheddar cheese instead of a cheese sauce. The bun was unique here, reminding me of what they use when making lobster rolls. It was toasted and did a great job keeping everything inside the bun. Delicious chili dog. Check. ✅ 

Since I had gotten chili on my hot dog, I decided against getting the chili fries and just went with Plain Fries ($4). These fries came out of the fryer very hot and were salted nicely. They were a good fast food fry, but nothing that would elevate them more than that. French Fries. 🆗

I left Irv's very satisfied with my food. I included the ala carte menu prices for the things I had here, but I did get the burger, fries, and a drink as a combo meal, which cost me $16.45. The burger and chili dog from Irv's are superb and among OC's best ones. I look forward to revisiting again soon to try their patty melt, pastrami sandwich, and chili cheese fries. Even though this was a counter-service restaurant, I must mention the guy working the register and handing out food on this particular day. I believe his name was Rico, and he was awesome. He not only kept the line moving and delivered the food as soon as it was ready, but he also memorized everyone's name and, on their way out, asked them how their food was. Very impressive, significantly since the lunch rush was ramping up, and they were getting busier by the minute. Hopefully, the arrival of Irv's Burgers will catalyze a new burger renaissance in OC. 

Out of five lost lids (because 1946 is not only the year that Irv's opened for business, but it's also the year that Tupperware was invented, and many people have lost the lids of these plastic containers over those decades), five being best to zero being worst, Irv's Burgers gets 3.5 lost lids. 

For more information about Irv's Burgers, head to their website by clicking here: https://irvsburgers.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment