Monday, May 6, 2024

Living Large at Fat Fish Sushi?


 Fat Fish Sushi

20761 Lake Forest Dr. 

Lake Forest, CA 92630


I have a complicated relationship with sushi. I like it, but I don't really seek it out. I've had some really expensive sushi, and while I appreciate it, I don't like it enough to justify paying a lot for it. An all-you-can-eat sushi option is a better option for me. I know some AYCE sushi places can be a little dicey, with inferior seafood, but I have not had any issues with subpar fish. My favorite AYCE sushi place is Sushi Damu in Tustin, but maybe Fat Fish Sushi would replace it. Read on to see. 

My aunt Hiroko picked this place for her birthday dinner. Like me, she picks restaurants with high Yelp ratings. I think most people head to Yelp to post negative reviews, so if a place has a good rating, it must be above average. Fat Fish Sushi has a 4.1-star rating, with close to 400 reviews posted. This is a small sample size, but it is enough for my Japanese aunt to think this spot might be a good choice for her to celebrate her birthday. 

One of the reasons Fat Fish might have only 300+ reviews is that this restaurant seems somewhat isolated. It's not close to any major freeways; it's in a small strip mall where the big draw seems to be a tire store to its left and a liquor store to its right, and this is an area that I feel is not going to draw a lot of people to. 

Fat Fish has been around since 2017 and is small, with room for 20 people at a time. Reservations for larger parties are a must. The AYCE menu is not the biggest we've seen, but there's enough diversity on it to satisfy most people. As with all AYCE sushi places, there are some rules you must abide by. There's a two-hour limit; everyone in your party must get the AYCE option; no to-go items are available, and items not eaten will be charged at the price listed on the menu. These are all standard rules we've seen in other places. Now that you know the ground rules, let's check out the food.











I will not bore you all by explaining everything we ate this evening. The $37 price for the AYCE option was fair, and I felt I got my money's worth when I walked out the door. I'm not a sushi expert, but the fish here was fresh and presented well. I liked the variety of their menu, and even my uncle, who is not really into sushi, had enough to choose from. The service was okay. We did not order some things that came out for us, but we ate them anyway. I also wish they had left a menu on the table so we knew what each item was on the order sheet for the AYCE. 

Ultimately, Fat Fish will not replace Sushi Damu, my current king of AYCE sushi restaurants in OC. Still, it was slightly above average and worth visiting if you live in the area or want sushi nearby. 

Out of five ocean sunfish (the actual fattest fish in the world, the heaviest of which was 5,100 pounds, which I imagine could be used in quite a lot of sushi rolls), five being best to zero being worst, Fat Fish Sushi gets 3 ocean sunfish. 

Fat Fish Sushi does not have a website that I could find online, so find out more about them by checking out their Yelp page by clicking here: https://www.yelp.com/biz/fat-fish-sushi-lake-forest-2 

No comments:

Post a Comment