Sunday, June 4, 2023

A Hidden Gem of a Pastrami Sandwich in Fullerton


 Gem Gourmet Meats and Produce

3125 Yorba Linda Blvd. 

Fullerton, CA 92831


It might make me sound like one of those elderly guys in the Pepperidge Farms commercials from back in the day, but restaurant blogging had changed a lot from when I started 14 years ago. Then, I would usually get restaurant tips from other blogs I read almost religiously. Only a few of us are still left writing restaurant reviews in blog form. Only a few are active blogs on my blogroll, which you can find on the right-hand side of this webpage. Most people stopped writing well before the pandemic and have not written a review in six months or more.   

With the tips from my fellow bloggers dried up, I have had to consult other sources. It was print media for a while, but once the OC Register put up a paywall, their restaurant critic left, and OC Weekly ceased publication, I was left with just Orange Coast Magazine. So I mainly rely on Instagram, my research, and the occasional tip from a reader for my restaurant tips. It was Instagram that brought me to where I will review today. 

In the last few months, I began following Grub with Greg. Greg does videos on the restaurants that he visits. I have considered starting to do this, but my audiobook obsession and finding the time to write this blog have prevented me from moving forward with this idea. Maybe someday. Greg does a great job showing off the food at the restaurants he visits. I recently had the pleasure of meeting him at an event, and I'm happy to report that he's just as lovely in person as in his videos. I want to credit him for inspiring me to visit Gem Gourmet Meats and Produce. 

Gem is located in the same shopping plaza as the stalwart Vendome Liquor, Mr. Katsu, and other proprietors alongside Yorba Linda Boulevard, just to the east of where it crosses Placentia Avenue. This was primarily a butcher shop with assorted produce and some dairy products for sale until recently. They have been in business for 50 years but have had more than one owner. 

You order the sandwiches at the meat counter, just to the left of the entrance. Their hot sandwich menu consists of four options, and they also make a variety of cold sandwiches which feature Boar's Head meats. The sandwiches come with macaroni salad, coleslaw, or potato salad. I perused the small store while my sandwiches were being prepared, less than five minutes. I paid at the front of the store and headed home. They did have one table outside the store if you chose to eat your sandwich on the premises. Let's see if this one tip that was worth following up on. 




I'm a sucker for a Hot Pastrami Sandwich ($13), and this is the sandwich I saw on Grub with Greg, which got me up here. The half pound of pastrami is steamed and placed on rye bread with Swiss cheese, sliced pickle, deli mustard, coleslaw, and Russian dressing. I really liked this sandwich, which was great value for the price. I'd get this without the mustard and pickles next time, as they overpowered the pastrami and the rest of the sandwich. Still solid, I enjoyed the sweet coleslaw, which contrasted nicely with the pastrami and the rest of the sandwich. I got potato salad with this which was fine but still not as good as the one from Mario's Butcher Shop in Newport. That one is still the benchmark for potato salads that I've had as of now. 


Who knew when I'd be back this way so, of course, I needed another sandwich. That sandwich would be the Hot Meatball Sub ($10). The meatballs are cradled in a French roll and joined by some provolone cheese and marinara sauce. I enjoyed that each bite included at least a part of a meatball. This sandwich had at least 5 of them. The meatballs were more dense than I would have liked, and their flavor was underwhelming. The plentiful provolone cheese did help elevate this sandwich, but it would have been better with more marinara. I upgraded my salad option to pasta salad. This was one of the better ones I have had. The penne pasta was seasoned well and sprinkled with parmesan cheese and sliced onions for an even more flavor boost. 

The pastrami sandwich at Gem Gourment is probably in my top ten pastrami sandwiches in OC, especially considering the relatively modest price compared to others on my list. The meatball sandwich could have been better, but if you are in the mood for one, this one will satisfy your craving. The sides were solid, and it's nice that they are included to round out your meal. I'll be trying the French Dip on my next visit here. Thanks for the tip about this spot Greg, and if you have any suggestions on places we should hit up, please let me know. 

Out of five Tanzanite gemstones (because this gem is the rarest and most expensive gem in the world today), five being best to zero being worst, Gem Gourmet Meats and Produce gets 3 Tanzanite gemstones.  

For more information about Gem Gourmet Meats and Produce, head to their website by clicking here:https://gemmeatsandproduce.com/

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for keeping your blog going. As well as being a regular reader it is also my go to source when looking for new culinary adventure. You should try Lupes on Del Obispo in Dana Point for some good Mexican food. No, I’m not affiliated with them, just a fan.

    ReplyDelete