Friday, February 17, 2023

Crazy Good Katsu in Irvine - CLOSED


 J San Ramen

3972 Barranca Parkway

Irvine, CA 92606


As the calendar turned the page to another year, I decided to leave my comfort zone with my restaurant choices. This became clear to me as I was editing this blog recently. I had become predictable with the food I had been ordering. As a result, way too many Caesar salads and burgers have been written about in this blog. I apologize for that, and I hope 2023 will start a more diverse restaurant blog.  

Japanese food is not something that I actively seek out. But, nevertheless, I fall into having it. Most of the time, Katie craves it, and I finally give in once she mentions it for the 500th time. However, at other times, like this evening, my aunt Hiroko chooses a place that she finds very good. That's what led us to J San Ramen in Irvine. 

From what I've gleaned online, J San Ramen is a mini-chain. There are locations in Yorba Linda, Fullerton, Mission Viejo, and two spots in Irvine. This location in the Crossroads Shopping Center opened in late 2020 during the pandemic. For an exact location, they are situated in front of the LA Fitness but closer to Barranca in the grouping of stores that includes Pete's Coffee, Wingstop, and Cava.  

Our party of five arrived here at half past six on a Saturday evening. We were met with an almost empty restaurant. It was like this during our stay, although there was a trickle of takeout orders being picked up. The dining room was modestly decorated, and the lighting was pleasantly bright. We found a table and made our selections with a server. 

I've studied the menus at all the OC locations of J San, which are all slightly different. This Irvine location breaks down its menu into appetizers, ramen, katsu, and noodles. Prices for ramen hover around the $15 mark, while the katsu is the same, but combo meals go for $23 and include U-don, shrimp, and a croquette. From what I've seen, this is the only J-San offering this combo meal, which you will see below. 




Combo meals are the best way to try as many items as possible on an initial visit to a restaurant, so that's what I always steer towards. The Domkatsu Combo Meal ($23.95) includes a pork cutlet katsu, shrimp tempura, potato croquette, and a small bowl of udon. This meal's highlight was the pork cutlet, which featured a crunchy outer coating that contrasted nicely with the tender pork underneath. Well fried and not oily at all. The potato croquette reminded me of the hashbrowns you get at McDonald's, which is not a knock against them. I loved the crunchy outside of the patty and the fluffy potato underneath. The shrimp was nicely done with the same flaky coating as the katsu. The plate was finished with a salad with a tangy yellow dressing over plenty of shredded cabbage. It was okay. I mostly ate it to counteract all the fried food I had just consumed. 

I am not an expert on udon, but I liked this well enough. It had a pretty mellow flavor, and everything in the bowl complemented each other nicely. 

I did not partake in this Tonkotsu Miso Ramen ($15.95), but my aunt Hiroko did. She grew up in Japan, so I'd consider her a ramen expert. She enjoyed this very much and will try to visit J-San if she gets the chance. This bowl included a creamy pork broth, egg, bean sprouts, seaweed, mushroom, green onion, sliced pork belly, and bamboo shoots. It looked good from across the table. I'd try the spicy version on my next visit. 

It has been a few months since this visit, and I still think about the crunchy katsu here. If you are a fan of katsu, J-San Ramen is the place for you. This trip has got me curious to see if the Mission Viejo location is as good as this Irvine one. I'll be finding out soon. The prices here were fair for the food you get. The service was friendly and efficient, and the food came out quickly. J-San has definitely piqued my interest in Japanese food. 

Out of five cherry blossoms (because they are the national flower of Japan), five being best to zero being worst, J-San Ramen gets 3 cherry blossoms. 

J-San Ramen does not have an accessible website, so click here to check out their Yelp reviews and other info: https://www.yelp.com/biz/j-san-ramen-katsu-irvine

No comments:

Post a Comment