Thursday, December 30, 2021

Best Restaurants of 2021

The years keep flying by. It's hard to believe that this is my 12th year of writing this restaurant review blog. Even though the last few years have been decidedly different, I still love writing about restaurants. They are magical places that can transport you across oceans, make a bad day a little better, and most importantly, give you nourishment to sustain life. 

It's no secret that restaurants have been hit hard over the last few years. They've had to deal with a global pandemic and government restrictions, but they have also had to deal with rising food costs, labor shortages, and customers that want to fight against the rules that these restaurants did not even set. It's got to wear on them. 

I look back to the early years of this blog when I was averaging more than two restaurant reviews a week. Back then I had way fewer distractions. I did not have Netflix or other streaming services to occupy my time, I had not gotten into my latest obsession, audiobooks, and I was not married and living with Katie, so I had way more time to myself to knock out reviews. 

This is the usual part of the year-end post where I promise to you my dear readers that I will devote more time to writing reviews and getting back to where I was posting twice a week. I'm going to deviate from making these false promises to all of you that have followed me and my awful writing for the last decade-plus. The best I can do is say that I will continue to review restaurants at a clip of once a week, which is what I've been doing for the last few years. My goal has always been to hit 1,000 reviews, and I might not be on target to hit that within the next year, but I will get there, so please be patient with me. 

I'd like to thank all of you that have taken a few minutes every now and then to see where we've eaten recently, used my blog as a reference point to see if you should part with your hard-earned money at a particular restaurant, or even if you've just looked at the pictures, I sincerely thank you. I'd also like to thank all my family and friends for putting up with all of this for all these years. Even my parents know now that I have to take a few pictures before they can dig in. It's much appreciated. Happiest of New Year to all of you!

And now, without further ado, here are the best restaurants we ate at in 2021. 



#10 - Royal Wok - Orange

When Yen Ching closed in Orange, I'm sure a lot of citizens of this great restaurant city were worried that they would have to leave the city limits to find a replacement for Chinese food. Not the case. Royal Wok stepped right in with all the Chinese classics you crave, and one of the best Mongolian Beef dishes you will ever taste. 


#9 - Matiki Island BBQ - Fullerton

I'm a big fan of Hawaiian barbecue, and the best I had this year was found in a shopping center alongside Harbor Boulevard. Matiki Island has some really good chicken and mac salad, but you'd be remiss to skip their beef ribs, which not only feature plenty of meat on them but will have you licking your fingers after tasting how great they are. 


#8 - Navarro's Taqueria - Santa Ana

2021 could be called the year of birria, as it's on menus all across OC. The best we had this year was from Navarro's, which is near the corner of Standard and Edinger. Their orange-hued tacos with consomme are something to behold, but even better might be their Quesabirria, which is full of birria and cheesy goodness The best of two delicious things. 


#7 - Kabob Republic - Costa Mesa

Katie had been on a quest to find the best garlic sauce in OC, and her journey might have ended at the Kabob Republic. Not only was the sauce great, but this is some of the best Mediterranian food we have had in the last few years. I savored every bite. 


#6 - Cupid's Hot Dogs - Fullerton

Looking for the best chili dog in OC? You need to check out Cupid's in Fullerton. This offshoot of the legendary spot in the valley, opened this year. Their limited menu and red and white color scheme are reminiscent of In N Out, but unlike that burger chain, they are actually good. Sorry to throw shade on everyone's favorite burger spot, but after your first bite of Cupid's chili cheese dog, you'll never be able to enjoy a Weinerschnitzel hot dog ever again. Another fast-food chain feels my wrath. 


#5 - Taqueria Zamora - Santa Ana

The best Mexican food we had this year was from this legendary spot that took me way too long to get to. Taqueria Zamora has won praise from lots of people that I respect, but most of them did not do their chilaquiles, tacos, and burritos justice. I regret little from this year, but most of all I regret not eating here more often this year. I'll hopefully rectify that in 2022. 


#4 - Sapphire. Cellar. Craft. Cook. - Laguna Beach

The only breakfast spot on this year's list comes to us from the restaurant group that runs, Vine, Ironwood, Olea, and now this spot, which is situated at Greeter's Corner in Laguna, Sapphire. It's the only one of their restaurants to serve brunch, and that's a shame because this was some awesome food to start your day. We will be back soon to try out their dinner soon. 


#3 - Sauced BBQ and Spirits - Orange

To be honest, I did not have much faith I would enjoy Sauced when I heard that they had other locations in Northern California because in my experience the best barbecue restaurants are usually just one-offs. I can admit I was wrong. The sausage, ribs, and pulled pork were all very good, while the cheesy grits and other sides were very solid. All this and ax throwing, count me in. 


#2 - Subculture Sandwiches - Huntington Beach

In a city which I think is the best sandwich city in all of OC, the sandwiches from Subculture might be the best of the best. I've only tried two of the 13 sandwiches available, but look forward to trying them all in the very near future. It's worth the one-way half-hour drive from where I live, plus they have Dutch crunch bread. 


#1 - Gibroni's Pizza - San Clemente

There are plenty of pizza styles to keep everyone happy; New York, Chicago deep dish, Neapolitan, thick crust, and Sicilian to name a few. 2021 was the year I was introduced to Detroit-style pizza, and after my first visit, I can say that I'm a big fan. Gibroni's operates out of JD's Bar in San Clemente, and they are worth a visit from anywhere you live in OC. Cheese all the way to the edge, crispy crust, and toppings and sauce on top makes this pizza a winner, unlike most Detroit sports teams. Sorry, Tony, I had to throw that in there. 

There are the best restaurants I had the pleasure of eating at this year. Happiest of 2022 to all of you and I hope you make it a delicious new year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment