Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Hoping This Toast Will Be the Toast of the Town


 Toast Kitchen and Bar

190 South State College

Brea, CA 92821


The restaurant business, just like other parts of society is a trend-based culture. If someone comes upon a really good thing, others seem to copy it. Remember when frozen yogurt shops were sprouting up almost everywhere? Then people seemed to turn their attention to poke, and you could get those fish cubes almost everywhere. Now it seems like the tides have turned once again, and it's not a type of restaurant that is the new hot thing, but rather a name. 

A quick Yelp search of the restaurants with the name Toast yields six results throughout southern California. Okay, maybe it's not as big of a trend as the others I had mentioned, but it could be a little confusing if your friend mentions that they want to eat at Toast, and you both show up at different restaurants. To help you out a bit, I think I got all these Toast restaurants figured out until another one sprouts up. 

There's the wildly popular Toast Kitchen and Bakery in Costa Mesa, which almost always requires a wait for a table, especially on weekends. Toast in Temecula is also a very popular spot and gets some great reviews online. Toast Bakery and Cafe is yet another one up in LA and is situated on trendy Third Street. Don't worry people of North San Diego County, you are not to be left out with your very own, Toast Gastrobrunch. 

The aforementioned Toast restaurants are all independent of each other, with no connection that I'm aware of. That brings us to Toast, which has been operating in Whittier since 2016. They have a sister restaurant at the corner of Birch and State College in Brea, which they initially called The Dylan, but it has recently been renamed, and you guessed it, it's now Toast Kitchen and Bar. Confused? I'm sure you're not the only one. 

I recently ventured to Toast in Brea with my parents right around the time of their name change. At the time they still had a banner over their old name, so I assume the name change was just made recently from the time of my visit. I had not been to the Dylan, but I had been here when it was a Claim Jumper, several years ago. The dining area is much more opened up and brighter from what I remember during these CJ days, with some very high ceilings and plenty of white paint on the walls. 

The all-day menu predictably is breakfast-focused, but they are now open until 8pm, so there's salads, entrees, burgers, and sandwiches to choose from as well. Breakfast options hover around the $17 price point, but the steak and eggs will set you back $29. My parents and I had looked at the menu online and were pretty quick to make our selections. Here's how everything turned out for us on this late Thursday morning. 


Let's start things off with my dad's selection, the Bacon Avocado Benedict ($16). This is one of the nine benedicts available here at Toast. It came layered with an avocado mash on the bottom, two strips of bacon, poached egg, and hollandaise sauce blanketing the penthouse level. My dad called this excellent, even though there were temperature issues with this. He was a big fan of the generous amount of bacon and avocado that came with it. He'd totally get this again. 


Breakfast sandwiches are my mom's thing, so she had to give this Breakfast Croissant ($14) a try. This sandwich had a little more heft to it than she's used to on other breakfast sandwiches she's had at other places. They use both black forest ham and bacon at Toast, then top it with an egg, sliced Tillamook cheddar cheese, and a touch of dijon aioli to round things out. She had asked for this to come with the egg over hard, but it came out with scrambled eggs instead. Not wanting to make a fuss, she ate it anyway and enjoyed it just the same. Both my mom and dad opted for the fresh fruit as their side, and they could not have been happier with their choice. They felt the fruit selection here was an upgrade from their usual breakfast spots. 


If my mom's thing is breakfast sandwiches, mine right as of this moment is breakfast burgers, as I've had many over the last month or so. This Brunch Burger ($17) is made up of an eight-ounce patty featuring both chorizo and beef and is then built up with a slice of white cheddar, bacon, sunny side up egg, and avocado all on a brioche bun. The patty really distinguished itself, with a more striking flavor profile due to the inclusion of the chorizo. The rest of the assembled cast added good texture and flavor in bursts. The yolk was runny and helped bind everything together, so my extra side of aioli that I asked for was not needed too much. I was intrigued by the description of the Hash Brown Chips, which the menu described as a cross between fries, potato chips, and hash browns. The menu got this right, but they were awkward to eat, as they were fried crispy and I wanted to eat them with my fingers like chips or fries, but they were too little to get a good handle on. It was also futile to eat them with my fork, as I could only pick them up one at a time. I'd prefer getting their country potatoes next time with cheese and jalapenos added. 

Toast Kitchen and Bar was better than I imagined it would be. It was definitely an improved alternative to a recent brunch we had at the nearby Lazy Dog Cafe on Mother's Day. I liked almost everything we had but did find the prices a few dollars too high on most items. There were also some issues with the kitchen on this visit, most noticeably the lukewarm temperature of my dad's meal and my mom's eggs being scrambled instead of over hard as she had instructed. Service was fine, but not especially warm and inviting. Even though Toast is not the most original name for a breakfast spot, I'd return here to try more of their menu. I'll just have to make sure that whoever I'm meeting knows what Toast to show up at. 

Out of five Ferris wheels, (because like the electric toaster, the Ferris wheel came into existence in 1893), five being best to zero being worst, Toast Kitchen and Bar gets 3 Ferris wheels. 

For more information about Toast Kitchen and Bar, head to their website here: https://www.toastbrea.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment