Tuesday, April 13, 2021

Celebrating a Step Closer to Normalcy at Bandeno Mexican Food


 Bandeno Mexican Food

466 South Anaheim Hills Road

Anaheim, CA 92807

It was my first vaccination day. I had been working with the public for the last year with the threat of coronavirus looming over my head with every customer that reached over me as I was stocking my shelves. I knew I was going to be fine, but the thought of bringing the virus home to Katie was enough to make me want to decrease the risk and get the vaccine as quickly as I could. 

Orange County did not really have their stuff together in early March, with no appointments available to front-line grocery workers. My friend suggested that I try my luck making an appointment at Corona High School in Riverside County. I was able to make an appointment that day for two days later. The process could not have been easier, and I was in and out of there in 30 minutes, including being observed for 15 minutes for complications after my shot. Since I was near my parents, I took this opportunity to meet them for lunch at Bandeno Mexican Food in Anaheim Hills.  

I don't really know too much about Bandeno. I know they are a family-run business that opened up in late 2019. Thanks to some hints from their website, I think their family is from the state of Gerrero in Mexico, which is located south of Mexico City and borders the Pacific Ocean. They took over a Mediterranian restaurant in a sleepy shopping center tucked deep inside Anaheim Hills, which is also home to a Papa John's, Subway, a CVS Pharmacy, and a small supermarket. 

For such a small place, Bandeno really has a pretty diverse menu. There is plenty to choose from with many varieties of combo plates, burritos, seafood options, tacos, bowls, tortas, appetizers, and plenty of breakfast choices to pick from. Ordering is done at the counter and we were able to sit inside since we were the only ones in the place, except for a steady stream of people getting to-go orders during the duration of our stay. Let's see if Bandeno Mexican Food was a worthy spot to celebrate my first step towards being fully vaccinated for covid. 



Let's start off with what my parents got first. They are pretty predictable when it comes to eating in Mexican restaurants. My dad most of the time gets a Chile Relleno ($4.75) and a Shrimp Taco ($3.99), while my mom usually veers towards a quesadilla of some sort, this time it was a Plain Cheese Quesadilla ($5.90). My dad called this the best chile relleno he has ever had, and he's eaten a lot of them over his 70 plus years. The poblano chile was fried well and was plated with plenty of cheese surrounding it on the plate and inside of it as well. My dad was also impressed with the shrimp taco because they used bigger shrimp than what he usually gets at other places where he orders shrimp tacos. The shrimp was cooked wonderfully and the sauce topping it tied everything together perfectly. My mom was pleased with her quesadilla and really enjoyed the guacamole that they included with it. 




My parents were paying, so I went a little large here, sorry pop. I started things off with two tacos, Asada ($3.25) and Pastor ($3.15). Both were very good. The pastor was my favorite of the two with its big flavor, but the asada was tender and not bland at all, which is not always the case with asada. The meat to tortilla ratio was a plus in my book also. The Beef Taquitos ($5.50) was bigger than most and filled nicely with plenty of shredded beef. Next time I'll order three for sure, as it's only an extra buck and a half. The Carnitas Plate ($10.75) was pretty good-sized with lots of sliced pork, rice, and beans included. There were a few bites of the pork that were a little on the dry side, but the majority of the pork was tender and moist. The beans and rice were a nice vehicle for the pork and I could have easily made at least four tacos with the provided flour tortillas that came with this. A very good value. 

Bandeno Mexican Food ended up being a very good neighborhood spot. It's probably not destination dining if you are reading this from half an hour away or more, but if you are in the area and are looking for some good Mexican food nearby that won't break the bank, this is the spot for you. The service was very friendly and it felt great getting to eat indoors again. Now I'm just looking forward to getting my second shot and getting back out there to do more restaurant reviews for all of you. 

Out of five health care professionals, (in honor of all the people who have been working on the vaccine and all that are involved in getting it out to all of us), five being best to zero being worst, Bandeno Mexcian Food gets 3 health care professionals.  

For more information about Bandeno Mexican Food, head to their website here: https://bandeno.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment