Sunday, March 21, 2021

Any Way You Slice It, This Is a Good Breakfast Sandwich - CLOSED


Eggslice

8340 La Palma Ave. Unit A

Buena Park, CA 90620


I don't know what it is, but there's something satisfying about starting your day off with a breakfast sandwich. Even if it's one from a fast-food spot, it kickstarts my day in the right direction. Now that I think about it, it may be that I don't eat breakfast when I have to work, so subconsciously, my brain equates breakfast with the fact that I'll have a great day free of the drudgery that is my workplace. Whatever it is, the simple truth is that I like breakfast sandwiches and have seen Eggslice open and want to give them a try. 

Apparently, I'm not the only one who likes breakfast sandwiches because when my parents, sister, and brother-in-law found out I was going to try Eggslice, they all wanted to join me. The allure of some delicious breakfast sandwiches was also too great for Katie to pass up, as she went without her customary twelve hours of sleep on a Sunday to accompany me for the short half-hour drive up the 5 Freeway. 

Eggslice has a unique story. Owner and executive chef Bill McMullan started his breakfast sandwich business in the farmer's markets of Sydney, Australia, over two decades ago. When he jumped to the US, he did pop-ups at different restaurants in OC. As of late last year, Eggslice now has a permanent home at Grange Hall 39, which is a partially completed food hall located on the backside of the Buena Park Mall, right near the massive Krikorian Movie Theater. Their current hours are 7 to 4pm every day of the week. 

What Eggslice hopes will set them apart from the other breakfast sandwiches you have eaten before is the quality of the ingredients that make up each sandwich. They use locally sourced items to build the best breakfast sandwiches around. They proudly tout many of their purveyors, like OC Baking Company, West Coast Prime Meats, Billy's Egg Farm, and others. There's also a locally made chili jam, which they boast about quite vocally. 

I met my family at Grange Hall 39 at 8am on a chilly Sunday morning. The food hall was far from complete when we visited, with only three booths occupied, and at this early hour, only Eggslice was open and operating. Their menu consists of five sandwiches, which can all be made into a protein-style version for those of you averse to carbs. Sides are limited to just tater tots and orange juice, tea, coffee, and bottled water. We ordered at the counter, took one of the tables outside,  and waited for our food to be ready. 



The Chicken Katsu Egg and Cheese ($7.99) started things off for us this morning. Both my sister and I got this one. Thanks for the hand modeling, Kristin. Joining the panko-crusted chicken was an extra-large egg served over medium, sliced American cheese and chili jam mayonnaise, all on a brioche bun. This was my favorite sandwich of the morning, not to ruin the suspense for everyone. It was very balanced with the well-made chicken katsu, the richness from the runny yolk, the creaminess of the cheese, and the slight tang of the chili jam mayo. It was all wrapped up by the beautiful brioche, which is not surprising since it was made by OC Baking Company, which makes some of the best bread in our grand county. 


Salmon has always been a little hit or miss with me, but this Smoked Salmon and Egg ($8.59) hit just the right notes with my dad and brother-in-law. This featured a good amount of cold-smoked salmon, an extra-large egg, and a dill and Dijon mustard sauce to finish it off. My dad was impressed with the salmon's freshness and the sandwich's lightness without sacrificing flavor. He also wanted me to point out that he had one of the best cups of coffee here, and it was less than three dollars. My dad is always looking for bargains. Glad he was happy with this meal. 


My mom, always the breakfast sandwich purist, went with the Bacon, Egg, and Cheese ($7.99). They used thick, smoked bacon on this, which looked lovely from across the table. She asked for this without the chill jam, unsure if she would like it. She was pleased with this sandwich and the high-quality ingredients used to make it.  



You are probably tired of me mentioning it, but Katie is on a keto diet, and I could not be more proud of her progress so far. She assured me when she started this that she'd still be able to go out to eat in restaurants with me, and I'm thankful that places like Eggslice accommodate people who live the no-carb lifestyle, like Katie. This is the Protein Style version of the Bacon, Egg, and Cheese ($9.99). With all of their protein-style options, they add an egg and half an avocado. Even though this was less good-looking than the other sandwiches, Katie enjoyed it. She was stoked with the quality of the bacon and the amount given to her. I counted 7 strips, which is pretty impressive. She also enjoyed the chili jam, which helped elevate this from a regular bacon and egg plate. 



Last but not least was my second sandwich of the morning, the Sausage, Egg, and Cheese with Avocado added ($9.98). I liked this sandwich, but the sausage was pushed to the side by the chili jam and the avocado. I'd probably ask for the chili jam on the side next time so I can apply it myself. The egg was cooked perfectly, with the runny yolk adding a nice, even richness, and the bun was stellar. 

Eggslice is the perfect spot for people looking to upgrade their basic, daily fast-food breakfast sandwich. Biting into each of these, you can taste the craftsmanship and love that went into making them. I definitely get the feeling that Egslice takes great care of what purveyors they use for their sandwiches. These are some of the best that OC has to offer, but they fall short of my all-time favorite breakfast sandwiches from Egg Slut, which has locations in LA and Las Vegas. Eggslice is definitely a solid choice for people looking to stay a lot closer to home and avoid the long lines at Egg Slut. 

Out of five coathangers (the nickname for the famous Sydney Harbour Bridge, a nod to where these sandwiches originated), five being best to zero being worst, Eggslice gets 3.5 coathangers. 

For more information about Eggslice, head to their website here: https://www.eggslice.com/

1 comment: