Thursday, December 27, 2018

Best Restaurants of 2018

Pretty crazy to believe that this is the 9th year-end review that I have written for this blog. It seems like just a few days ago that I was bored on the internet, stumbled across a restaurant blog, and became entranced with what I saw.  I decided that day that I would like to become a restaurant blogger/reviewer. Nearly 900 posts and 800 different restaurant visits have brought us to the verge of 2019.

I look at the list of restaurant blogs that I have followed on my blogroll, and most have stopped producing new content, sporadically post something, or have shuttered completely. These days it seems to be all about Instagram and other social platforms that I'm not really all too familiar with. Yes, I could just focus on Instagram, which would be way easier, but there's something that keeps me writing this blog. It's kind of therapeutic to me and keeps me from just watching too much Netflix when I get home. I guess it helps keep my brain a little bit more active also.

Back in 2009, I would have never guessed where this blog and my life would have taken me. Marriage was never something I really aspired to achieve, but that was before I met Katie, who I also started up with nine years ago. I could have never guessed the great restaurants I would have the chance to eat at thanks to this blog. The chefs and food people, whether it was other food bloggers, Instagrammers, food publicists, restaurant management or staff that I have had the great opportunity to meet have inspired me, and some I'm even humbled enough to call friends. It really is true what others say, food people are the best people.

As the end of the year approaches it's always natural to look back where you have been. This restaurant blog is not only what I hope is a great resource for all of you, but it's also a sort of diary of my life over almost a decades time. Yes, I  have slowed down a bit with my reviews, but I really still enjoy doing this, and not just because I get to eat a lot of delicious food. I do this because I love going out to eat with my friends and family. In these days of everyone with their heads glued to their cell phones, myself included, the table is where you can truly catch up with family and friends without dodging click bait and ads.

So I'd like to thank everyone that has had a hand in helping me produce this blog this year. Whether it was agreeing to have dinner with Katie and me, giving us suggestions on where to eat, interacting with me on social media, commenting or liking one of my posts or pictures on social media, dropping me a question or suggestion through the website or Twitter, or just taking the time to read a particular review that intrigued you. I truly appreciate all of you and look forward to reaching some big milestones next year with our 800th restaurant and the tenth anniversary of this blog. It truly has been a magical ride so far, and I hope the end is far into the future.

Now without further yapping from me, here are the top restaurants that we ate at this year, and places that you should eat at as soon as possible.


#10 Brussels Bistro - Laguna Beach

Belgian food is not something that you encounter every day in OC, especially since the only other Belgian spot I had heard of in OC, The Globe closed three years ago. Lucky for us Brussels Bistro has picked up the cause for this Benelux country's cuisine. When here think mussels, some of the best fries and sauces anywhere, and hearty entrees. Here's to hoping that Belgian food catches fire like poke did in the last few years.


#9 S'Wich Bistro - Irvine

A hard to get to restaurant for me, because of their hours and lack of being open on weekends, but S'Wich is worth the trouble. A favorite of nearby Blizzard workers, you'd be hard pressed to find a clunker on their menu. The sandwiches are solid but don't sleep on their burger, which has gotten some love from OC Register Restaurant Critic Brad A Johnson.  I also hear good things about their breakfast burritos as well.


#8 Free Range Cafe - Newport Beach

Kind of isolated on Balboa Island, Free Range is situated away from the busy tourist lined Marine Avenue, and on the same street where you can catch the Balboa Island Ferry. It's worth finding for the best, albeit most expensive breakfast spot on the island. The croque madame was good, but the real star here is their twice baked breakfast potatoes and their fries, Really well done.


#7 Parallel Pizzeria -  Dana Point

It was a busy year for Chef Ryan Adams. He sold the much heralded 370 Common but opened Buttermilk, a fried chicken restaurant in Downtown Orange and a New Haven pizza joint in Dana Point. The pizza here is not like anything you have had before, except if you have had it in Connecticut. Clams and bacon sound a little odd but really worked on the pizzas here.



#6 North Italia - Irvine

Yes, North Italia is a chain Italian restaurant and they opened up three years ago this month, but this is not like any chain restaurant you have ever been to. Everything is freshly made, there's almost always an hour wait unless you make reservations, and you will definitely have a tough time deciding what you want to eat when dining here. The energy inside this restaurant matches the vibrancy of the food coming out of this kitchen perfectly.


#5 Mama's Comfort Food and Cocktails - Los Alamitos

I love me some comfort food and this newest outpost of Mama's on 39 got me very excited. The buffalo cauliflower starter was delicious, and the hits just kept on coming with one of the best patty melts I have had in some time, and the desserts, which feature Thrifty brand ice cream. Next time maybe breakfast for dinner, but I'll for sure save room for some Chocolate Malted Crunch at the tail end of my meal.

#4 Ikram Bakery - Fountain Valley

I had Ikram on my list for a long time as we have become addicted to shwarma. This build your own plate kind of place now holds the crown for best shwarma in OC in my opinion. The chicken was moist and flavorful and the beef was the same. Centrally located in Fountain Valley, which is quickly becoming one of the best food cities in all of OC.



#3 El Pico De Gallo Grill -  Santa Ana

I had heard some good things about this restaurant on my friend's podcast and made a note to give it a try. Niyaz did not lead me astray. The Mexican food here is right up there with the big boys; El Farolito, Sabroso! and El Maguay. They make their tortillas right in front of you, there's a spinning spit of al pastor right by the front door, and the carne asada is not to be missed either. A very unassuming restaurant, but not one to be missed.



#2 Fire Breather BBQ - Lake Forest

I always cry over the fact that there are no good barbecue restaurants in South OC, where I live. That all came to an end when I discovered Fire Breather BBQ in the middle of this year. Not only the best barbecue in South OC, but this could also rival some of the best barbecue I have had in all of OC. I wish they had a little more diversity in their sides, but I have never had a bad piece of meat here, whether it is their brisket, tri-tip, pork ribs, or pulled pork. All are winners.


#1 Cortina's Italian Market - Anaheim

Cortina's takes the top spot of 2018 for me this year. They were our only four-star review and the lunch I had here was my most memorable meal of this year. I've been on the lookout for an awesome meatball sandwich and found it here. I also found a porchetta sandwich that rocked my world and the pizza is one of the best I have had in a long while. Even their regular cold cut sandwiches are stellar. Prices are very reasonable here and this is one of the crown jewels of Italian eateries in OC.

So that's it for this year's best restaurants. As usual, I'm looking forward to what the new year brings. I'd also like to thank all of you for taking the time to visit our blog and hope you will continue to do so in the upcoming year. Now let's go out there and make it a delicious year.

1 comment:

  1. i just wan to say you thank you so much for this amazing blog that was so good and very nice and but i want to say you about my blog that was also similar blog want to read so click here Best Restaurants in Netaji Subhash Place

    ReplyDelete