Friday, April 22, 2011

Hiding Out at Burger Joint


Burger Joint at Le Parker Meridien
119 W 56th St.
New York, NY 10019

As anyone that knows me can tell you, I love a good burger. I would even consider myself a connoisseur of burgers. So with all that New York has to offer, they must have great burgers right? After reading travel guides and internet blogs they all led us to Burger Joint in the swanky Le Parker Meridien.

Le Parker Meridien is one of those really nice hotels that you see in all the movies. A place so nice you half expect to run into Julia Roberts having lunch with Erik Estrada, (okay Erik Estrada would be busing the table, but they could chat a little bit while he is doing it!).


So this is the entrance to Burger Joint, as seen from the lobby of the hotel. Not exactly screaming eat here! Finding this place was more like an Easter egg hunt. It was almost like they do not want to be found. When in the lobby, just follow the curtain all the way to the left and you will not have to ask the front desk where the restaurant is like I had to.



Once inside this small fifteen table eatery, you are face to face with a board explaining how to order. Rule one, order a hamburger or cheeseburger. Rule two, How do you want it cooked? Rule three, what do you want on it? Lastly, they tell you if you are not ready to order they will send you to the back of the line. Some people may find this offensive or rude on their part, but I kind of find it refreshing. It keeps the line moving and helps get the food out faster. There is always that idiot that waits in line, never looking at the menu board until they get to the register, then they decide what they want to eat. It usually takes them forever. I say let the prepared people order first. Okay enough of the rant, let's check out the food.


Katie ordered quickly and got the Cheeseburger with mayo, lettuce, and pickles. She felt that the meat was the star of this show on this very simple burger.


We split an order of French Fries. The order was pretty good sized, bigger than the large size at McDonald's. Unfortunately, these fries were about the same as McDonald's. Basic fast food fries would sum up these spuds. 


I got a Cheeseburger with the works. The works at Burger Joint is mayo, ketchup, mustard, lettuce, tomato, pickles, and onions. When the burger came out it looked like a salad bar, more than a burger. I remedied this by removing most of the veggies. I liked the bun on this burger, it held up to the toppings well. The burger was smaller than I would have liked, so the next time I go, I would get two. The beef itself was juicy and was cooked medium rare the way I had ordered it. The burger tasted like something you would barbecue yourself, which led to debate within our party.

My Dad felt that the burger tasted too much like the burgers he could make in the backyard, so it was not as special a burger as it could have been. I can not believe I am typing this, but I almost agree with him. The burger was good, but not much different from the backyard burger. If I lived in New York and had access to a barbecue, I am not so sure I wouldn't just barbecue a burger at home. But, on the other hand, if you're craving a homemade tasting burger, this will be the spot for you.

One last word, beware that they have very limited seating. here. We were relegated to the hotel lobby and ate on benches by the front door. Not very comfortable, but space is limited in New York, so it is understandable. It kind of made this experience more kitschy.

Out of five bones, (because a joint is where two bones make contact with each other), five being best to zero being worst, Burger Joint gets 3 bones.

For more information on Burger Joint, click here: https://www.burgerjointny.com/

Burger Joint at Le Parker Meridien on Urbanspoon


a href="http://www.tvfoodmaps.com">
  Maps for Diners, DriveIns and Dives, Man v. Food and more

No comments:

Post a Comment