Thursday, November 10, 2016

Getting to Experience the Perks of the 50/50 Club


Slater's 50/50 Burgers by Design
6362 E. Santa Ana Canyon Road
Anaheim, CA 92807

It's been a long while since I've been to Slater's 50/50. Okay, not really that long, but it's been a long time since I last wrote about a visit to Slater's. Unfortunately, the Slater's by my house shuttered about a year ago, and I have a long list of restaurants I want to eat at, so I kind of took a sabbatical from the over the top half ground bacon, half ground beef burgers here. That break ended when my friend Mark and I were invited to a VIP Dinner at Slater's 50/50 Anaheim Hills location last week. The best part about the VIP dinners at Slater's? You can get in on the action as well.

I did not know it until this evening, but Slater's has started a 50/50 Club, which has some pretty cool perks. For the $30 a month membership, you get a beer a day from their very large draft beer list. You not only get a brewski a day, but you also receive early tasting opportunities of their infamous Burger of the Month, a week before it is released to the public. You also get invites to exclusive monthly VIP Dinners, which was happening on this evening. These are meals personally put together by Slater's 50/50 Founder, Scott Slater and Chef Tony, who was in attendance on this evening, and came out briefly to share his vision with us, and prove that this is not just your typical burger joint.

According to our table mates, who were proud 50/50 Club members, this is the second dinner they have attended. The first was an Oktoberfest themed dinner and beer pairing, which they all raved about. On this evening it was a Thanksgiving themed soiree, and after taking a quick glance at the menu, me and my good friend Mark were really looking forward to what was to come out for us.



Things started out nicely for us, as these Bacon Wrapped Thai Sriracha Wings hit the table. These delicious wings got everyone's attention right off the bat. Big, meaty wings were wrapped with at least two pieces of bacon, and then deep fried. What made these for me was the combination of the sweet Thai sauce and the spiciness from the Sriracha. I love spicy and sweet together, and these were a definite winner. Please put these on the menu guys.



Two side items were presented as a prelude to our main course. Some, like me, would argue that the side items at a Thanksgiving dinner are more important than the main course, and these two nailed it. Here you have the Roasted Root Vegetable Medley and the Shaved Brussels Sprouts Slaw. The veggie medley was pretty solid, but what got us all excited was the slaw. Chef Tony shared that this is the only way he can get his wife to eat Brussels sprouts, and he did make these misunderstood mini cabbages remarkable. The contrast between the sprouts and the smoky crumbled bacon brought this side item to new heights. Really good, and our entree was up next.




Behold the Turducken Slider. I have yet to have a traditional turducken, and this delicious slider is the closest I have had to date. The three major components were here in some form; turkey patty, shredded duck, and fried chicken, then it was finished off with some stuffing, and two squares of cornbread attempting to keep everything together. Chef Tony expected us to use a knife and fork for this one, due to the crumbling of the cornbread, but I did manage to eat a good majority of this with my hands. I really liked how all the items interacted and adding the gravy really made this come alive. Another item that I wished Slater's would feature on their menu, or at least make their Burger of the Month.



Dessert is always a treat at Slater's and this Pumpkin Tart was no exception. I did not get the full description of what was in this, but the pumpkin seemed muted a bit to me, which is fine because I always feel that pumpkin flavored anything is overrated. This tart was balanced out with chocolate and a very creamy whipped cream. A nice and light end to our VIP Dinner at Slater's.

Both Mark and I left Slater's 50/50 pretty impressed with the VIP Dinner on that evening, and we decided that if we lived closer to a Slater's location, we would definitely have joined the 50/50 Club that night. I also should note that the food items that we had on this evening were paired with wines, but I'm not too much of a wine guy, as I was way more focused on the food. We had a great meal, met some awesome people at the dinner, and got to experience a little taste of Thanksgiving a few weeks early. Now that's really something that we could be thankful for.

Special thanks to Chef Tony and Scott Slater for coming up with this 50/50 Club, and including us in this very special dinner. We had a wonderful time, and look forward to seeing what's going to be next for this over the top restaurant. We would also like to thank Anna, from J Public Relations for arranging this visit for us. We had a great visit thanks to you.

If you would like to experience the 50/50 Club for yourself, or for anything else Slater's related, head to their website here: https://slaters5050.com/



No comments:

Post a Comment