Wednesday, October 21, 2020

A Breakfast Burrito So Good It'll Make Me Sing With Glee?


Glee Donuts and Burgers

9475 Heil Avenue

Fountain Valley, CA 92708

I've gotten into quite a rhythm on Sunday mornings. I do a little light housework, hop on the computer to write a few paragraphs, do a Sudoku or two, check social media, and write my to-do list for the upcoming week. All of this before Katie even hits the first of her ten or so snooze buttons. 

Since I'm pretty much the best husband ever, (besides telling you all of her secrets), I also have been leaving early to go get breakfast and sometimes even making a Starbuck's run for her while she gets some extra sleep. Most of the time its breakfast burritos that I'm after, as I've been trying to knock some of them off of my list. On this recent Sunday, it was my turn to cross Glee Donuts and Burgers off of the list. 

Glee opened for business in 2015 and has now grown to two locations, this one in Fountain Valley and their other one is in Anaheim. They are a mainstay on many best donut, best burger, and best breakfast burrito lists in the OC Register, the now-defunct OC Weekly, and many other online publications. 

It's always intriguing to me as to how a place gets to be so popular in such a relatively short time. With Glee Donuts, you need to look no farther than their social media accounts to find that they have very large followings. They are approaching 2,000 followers on Facebook, but Instagram is where you will find their bread and butter, with 12,000 followers and growing. I was excited to see if they were just a collection of pretty pictures, or if their stuff was really that good. 

Since Glee is about a 20-minute car ride away, I ordered online before leaving my house. I was very impressed with the number of menu items that they offer. They have plenty of burgers, breakfast sandwiches, bagels, sandwiches, donuts, salads, and even fish and chips. When you click on the breakfast burrito tab, you then have the option of 17 different combinations of burritos. Finally, pick one, and then you are presented with a crazy long list of options to add or subtract to your chosen first meal of the day. 

After ordering and paying for the food online, I was quoted a time of 20 minutes, which was perfect based on the open and clear freeway that is usually found on a Sunday morning before nine. I arrived at the tiny strip mall on the corner of Heil and Bushard, a block west of Mile Square Park just in the time quoted as my order was going to be ready. I bought two extra donuts and was on my way back to sleeping beauty, who I'm sure was just starting to wipe the sleep from her eyes. Let's see if this will be added to my Mount Breakfast Burrito-More of OC breakfast burritos. 


Okay, I know that I promised a breakfast burrito, but Katie is watching her carbs, so she had to have a Ham, Bacon, Egg, and Cheese Bowl with Onions and Guacamole added ($10.25). I was really surprised by how generous they were with the amount of guacamole they put on here. She felt the bowl was delicious, and she loved all the customizations she could make.  



At the suggestion of one of my favorite food people on Instagram, Buddy from Foodieoc told me that I had to get the Burgerrito ($10.25). This hybrid burger and burrito came with a burger patty, cheese, egg, hashbrowns, bacon, and I added avocado at an additional charge. I did not take a picture of them, but you also get a side of salsa and the much better special sauce, which kind of resembles a slightly spicy version of thousand island dressing without the pickles. The burrito was really good, with plenty of meat in each bite, the hash browns were nice and crunchy, and the avocado added a nice creaminess. It was filling, but not overwhelming. The secret sauce really tied it all together. I'll make a few modifications next time, like a sunny side up egg and adding sausage, but a really good breakfast burrito. 



I was not too impressed with the donut selection at Glee on this particular Sunday at 9am. They only had one glass case with donuts, and I wasn't too enthused about any of them. I settled on the Blueberry Cake and Glazed Old Fashioned ($1.00 each). They were fine donuts, a little less greasy than most donut shops, but that's really the only thing I noticed different about them. I'll have to try more of them the next time I'm around this way. 

Even though the donuts at Glee failed to wow me, the breakfast burritos were exceptional. These are by far the most customizable breakfast burritos in OC and one of the tastiest as well. I look forward to coming back and perfecting my ultimate breakfast burrito here. As far as the top four in OC, I'd have to put them in my top 4, alongside Ham N Scram, Nate's Korner, and TK Burger. I have yet to have Nick's in Seal Beach and Athenian Burger's version, but there's always next Sunday. 

Out of five cars, (because the show Glee was set at fictional William Mckinley High School, and its namesake was the first president to ride in an automobile) five being best to zero being worst, Glee Donuts and Burgers gets 3.5 cars. 

For more information about Glee Donuts and Burgers, head to their website here: https://gleednb.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment