Sunday, January 8, 2012

King's Fish House to the Tower or the Throne?




King's Fish House
24001 Avenida De La Carlota
Laguna Hills, CA 92653

In Katie's family I kind of have a reputation. They take me to one of their favorite restaurants, I blog about it, and they are never satisfied with the results. They think that I am very picky, and a very tough critic. I think the reason they should be upset is that they have been eating at average places all this time. I am of course kidding, (I am not really, but I want to still be invited out with them!).

So, on this outing with the family we headed to King's Fish House. King's is a casual fish restaurant. They operate twelve locations, and three of them are located in our fair county, (the other two in OC are Orange and Huntington Beach). The vibe here at King's reminds me of a Lucille's BBQ restaurant. Although King's is a chain restaurant, you do not get that kind of vibe here. Let's check out what came out of the kitchen.


No bread basket here, but we were served this bread plate. This sourdough loaf was served warm, and had a great flavor. I could have eaten the whole loaf by myself.


I snapped this picture, just before Dennis dug in. He always goes for a cup of New England Clam Chowder when he comes here. He described this chowder as good, with just the right amount of spice. Plenty of potatoes and clams for his taste, and he liked the fact this was not as creamy as other chowders he has had.


The dinner salads were basic, but fresh. They are not going to wow you, but the blue cheese dressing for some reason this night caught my attention. It had more blue cheese flavor than most, and held on to the lettuce well.


Now on to the main entrees. We will start it off with Katie's selection, the Mediterranean Swordfish. This fish, caught off the California coast, was paired with a tomato fennel relish and Greek yogurt.sauce. This fish was very meaty, almost like a steak. The yogurt sauce was creamy and complimented the fish nicely. Also served with this was a sauteed orzo, which according to Katie, really balanced this meal out perfectly.


The patriarch of the family had the Mexican Shrimp and Wild Alaskan Scallops on a Skewer. Dennis enjoyed the portion size of this plate, and felt the shrimp and scallops were cooked well. For his two side items he went with Steamed Jasmine Rice and Macaroni and Cheese. The rice was average in his opinion, and the mac and cheese was a little on the dry side. Not the cheesiest macaroni we have had.


Not too different of a plate was Lynn's dinner, the Farm Raised Mexican Shrimp. Lynn echoed Dennis' comments about the portion size being good, and the shrimp being cooked well. She went with the Macaroni and Cheese as well, but also had the Sauteed Fresh Spinach. The spinach was the best side of the night for us. It was maybe sauteed with garlic, which really gave it a nice flavor.


After much deliberation I had the Parmesan Crusted Rockfish. I was very happy with the serving size of this entree. Four very well cooked pieces of fish, more than satisfied my appetite. My one complaint would be the lack of lemon butter on this. For some reason it was poured on the plate, rather than having it placed atop the fish. I should have just asked for more sauce, but I just made due. The Cole Slaw was decent here, but the mashed potatoes were flavor challenged. Next time I will opt for the baked potato.

King's Fish House is a pretty safe bet for a chain seafood restaurant. They are definitely better than Red Lobster, and on par with Bluewater Grill. The prices were a little on the high side, but the portion sizes make up for that a little bit. The sides here need some help. Besides the spinach, and maybe the Cole slaw, we were not too crazy about them. Service was straight forward and good. We sat out on the heated patio this night, and were quite comfortable. King's Fish House puts a halt to the run of mediocre restaurants that Katie's family has taken me to. I guess I will be invited to at least one more dinner, (I hope!).

Out of five Elvis's, (because of course you can not hear the name king, and not think of him), five being best to zero being worst, King's Fish House gets 3 Elvis's.

For more information on King's Fish House, click here: http://www.kingsfishhouse.com/index.html

King's Fish House on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

  1. Went to King's a few months back with Rocio. I had oysters on a 1/2 shell. Next day, DIARRHEA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous - I am really sorry to hear of your bad experience at King's. Lucky for us, no oysters on this night for us. Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been to Kings a number of times. Never a problem. It is a great alternative to all the usual chain restaurants in the area.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous/Dennis - I will agree with you on the point that this is usually a solid chain restaurant, but maybe a little on the pricey side for what you get. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete