Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Classic Diner Faire at Mike's


Mike's City Diner
1714 Washington
Boston, MA 02118

Sometimes when you are planning a trip you see places on a map, and think they are pretty close. Then you get to the city, and you find out that they are not as close as they seem. Once I got the lay of the land, I knew it was going to be a little bit of a journey to get from Cambridge to the South End, but I also had a feeling it was going to be worth the trip, and it was.

The object of our quest was Mike's City Diner. I had of course seen this place on the show Diner's, Drive Ins, and Dives. From the show I learned that this place is known for big servings and turkey dishes. Unfortunately, we were here on Saturday, and they only serve breakfast on weekends. So, no turkey dinner was coming my way, so I had to adjust my order.

We made it to Mike's at about noon. There was a line almost out the door. A very good sign that there was good food ahead.. This diner is run by a guy named Jay, who we had the pleasure of meeting while we were here. What a great guy, and he is very passionate about food. I knew his passion for food would lead to great things on our plates. Let's check out what they cooked up for us.


This picture does not do this Turkey Hash with 2 Eggs justice. The hash which was located under the eggs was great. Kind of had a stuffing feel to it, but without the bread. Very comforting taste, and when combined with the runny egg, it was made even better. Katie was very happy with this excellent comfort food.



I saw Emergency Room Breakfast on the menu, and of course I leaned toward it. With the ER breakfast you get two eggs, three bacon, home fries, and toast. All of these were cooked well, but were over shadowed by the pancakes above. At Mike's you can add fruit or chocolate to any pancakes for an extra $2. In my case I added both chocolate and bananas. The result was delicious. One of the best pancakes I have ever had. They tasted more like banana chocolate chip bread than pancakes. I was very happy with this breakfast.

Not only was I happy with the breakfast, but I was also very happy with Mike's Diner. The food was priced well here. My emergency room plate was just over $8, and Katie's hash and eggs was a steal at $7.50. Not only was the food great, but the service was great as well. Our waitress Victoria, was the ultimate diner waitress. She was bubbly, without being way over the top. Both her and Jay really made us feel like friends when we were leaving the diner. Well worth the trip, even from Cambridge.

Out of five saxophones, (because Bill Clinton has eaten here before, and he famously played the sax), five being best to zero being worst, Mike's City Diner gets 4 saxophones.

For more information on Mike's City Diner, click here: http://www.mikescitydiner.com/

Mike's City Diner on Urbanspoon



  Maps for Diners, DriveIns and Dives, Man v. Food and more

No comments:

Post a Comment