Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Doughnut Euphoria at Doughnut Plant


Doughnut Plant
379 Grand St.
New York, NY 10002

I have always loved doughnuts. One of my earliest memories is going to the doughnut shop with my Dad on weekend mornings, picking out the doughnuts from behind the glass case, and then eating as many as I could before my parents told me to stop.

Now that I am a grown up I can eat all the doughnuts I want. I am just glad I am separated by more than 3,000 miles from the Doughnut Plant, because if I wasn't, I would be in big trouble. Simply put, these are the best doughnuts I have ever had! I usually put my rating at the end of the post, but I can not hide my love for the doughnuts at DP. Doughnut Plant gets a 4.5 rating.

A little history on Doughnut Plant before we take a look at the doughnuts. DP was started in Mark Israel's basement in 1994. Using his grandfather's recipe, and selling to many coffee shops, he soon had a great following. After five years of making doughnuts all night in the basement, Mark finally opened a store on the Lower East Side. Lines were long and numerous magazine articles and television shows featured the Doughnut Plant. That is what brought us here, so let's take a look at this doughnut perfection.


Here is the doughnut that I probably liked the least, but it was still better than any doughnut I have ever had, the Valrhona Chocolate doughnut. This yeast doughnut was light and not greasy like other doughnut shop doughnuts. The Valrhona chocolate had a great flavor and this was inhaled by Katie and I pretty quickly.



Next up was the Creme Brulee Doughnut. Tasted as good as it sounds and looks. My only complaint about this was that it was the size of a doughnut hole. They could have definitely made this into one of their square filled doughnuts that you will see next.


My Dad went with the Coconut Glazed/Coconut Cream doughnut. I did not get offered a bite of this doughnut, so I am assuming it was up to his satisfaction. The filled doughnuts here are square. Very unique, and something they have done since 2004.


Now for Katie's favorite, the Tres Leches Doughnut. This doughnut had a great flavor and is exactly what you would expect from a doughnut named after the famous Latin American cake that is soaked in three different kinds of milk. The result is a mellow flavor and a very moist doughnut. One that should not be missed when visiting DP.


Another winner of a doughnut is the Blackout doughnut. This blew all of the other devil's food donuts out of the water. This cake doughnut was filled with chocolate, topped with chocolate, and made of chocolate. The chocolate hat trick! You would think with all of this chocolate this would be a very sweet doughnut, but it was very well balanced. Really tasty and it disappeared quickly.


The Carrot Cake doughnut above was taken to the Yankee game, and was none the worse for wear. I love carrot cake, so this was right up my alley. Tasted just like a slice of carrot cake minus the cream cheese frosting. Wish I did not have to split this with Katie and my parents.


I chose the Peanut Butter Glaze/Blackberry Jelly Doughnut to end this with because it was the best out of the bunch. Major mistake on my part not taking a picture of the inside of this masterpiece. Trust me the jelly was in there. They make their jelly on the premises., and together with the outside of this doughnut, the two flavors combine to make one of the best doughnuts that I have ever had. Makes me hungry just thinking about it.

As you can see, DP is not your typical doughnut shop. Some may scoff at the prices, they range from $2.25 to $3 each, but to experience doughnut nirvana no price is too high. The doughnuts here are made with no trans fats, artificial flavors, or preservatives. So you can feel free to eat as many as you want. They are almost good for you! Get here early, because when they sell out they close for the day. Somewhere between five and seven pm.

In case you missed it the first time, or jumped ahead to see the pictures, out of five nuclear reactors, (since I did not reference Homer Simpson until now in this post!), five being best to zero being worst,  Doughnut Plant gets 4.5 nuclear reactors.

For more information on Doughnut Plant click here: http://www.doughnutplant.com/

Doughnut Plant on Urbanspoon



  Maps for Diners, DriveIns and Dives, Man v. Food and more

No comments:

Post a Comment