Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Prime Cut Cafe a Cut Above the Rest?


Prime Cut Cafe
1547 W. Katella Ave.
Orange, CA 92867

Hockey season is back! Katie and I usually meet near the arena and get something to eat beforehand. For this game, we headed to Prime Cut Cafe. Prime Cut Cafe is ideally located within a short walking distance of the Honda Center, and the best part is there is no charge for parking.

This is Prime Cut Cafe's only location. According to their website, they "strive to achieve affordable luxury with modern American Flavor." They have a wine bar that offers over seventy-five wines by taste, flight, glass, or bottle. But on this night, we are here to sample the food. Let's see what we got.


While waiting for Katie to show up, I was seated and had about ten minutes to kill before she made it to the restaurant, so I ordered a cup of the Clam Chowder. The menu said that they make this soup in-house, along with a lot of the rest of the menu. I liked the creaminess of this soup, but it was devoid of clams, and the bacon overpowered the clam taste, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but just not what I expected from a clam chowder. I should have gotten the bowl of soup since it was just a dollar more, and I knew Katie would be late anyway.


Once Katie did arrive, she went the salad route and got the Cafe Club Salad with ranch dressing on the side. This is their version of a Cobb salad but with organic greens. This also featured bacon, tender chicken, tomatoes, avocado, chopped eggs, and blue cheese. I am not much of a salad guy, but even I picked at this after finishing my meal. Katie felt this salad was "fresh tasting, and the chicken was solid."


I went off of the beaten track with my pick for dinner. At Prime Cut Cafe, I should have gotten a steak or prime rib, but I settled on something else. I got the Chicken Burgundy. Thinly sliced chicken breast is perched on whipped potatoes and covered in a mushroom burgundy sauce. I was disappointed by the size of this portion, and the mashed potatoes were not as good as I had hoped. The sauce had a good flavor and complimented the almost forgettable chicken. Note to self: get the beef next time.


The desserts at Prime Cut are all made from scratch and baked or cooked at the time you order. We were already going to be late for the game, so we decided to try a dessert. But what should we get? They have cookies and milk, jelly doughnuts, and fruit cobblers, but we went with the Flourless Hot Chocolate Cake, served with vanilla bean ice cream. Katie thought the ice cream overshadowed the cake, and I felt that the cake was too soupy. It had more of a souffle vibe to it, but it did have a rich chocolate flavor.

Prime Cut Cafe was okay. Like I said earlier, I should have gotten a beef dish. The atmosphere here reminded me of Lazy Dog Cafe, just not as good. Nothing on the menu really got me too excited, especially the starters, where they had marinated olives, deviled eggs, and prosciutto and apples. It's different from my kind of appetizer. The service was good, and the prices did not seem too out of control.

Out of five mobsters (because the 1972 film Prime Cut, which starred Lee Marvin, was about mobsters), five being best to zero being worst, Prime Cut Cafe gets 2.5 mobsters.

For more information on Prime Cut Cafe, click here: http://primecutcafe.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment