Thursday, July 29, 2010

Skimming the Menu at Skimmer's


Skimmer's Panini Grill
25290 Marguerite Pkwy #E
Mission Viejo, CA 92692

Katie and I have been on a real sandwich kick lately. I think it might be because we have been eating out so much, that on our off nights, we just want something that is on the lighter side. Enter Skimmer's. I found them on Yelp, about a year and a half ago. I remember liking it, but I am not sure why I did not go back.

I have had Skimmer's since then because they catered Katie's sister's bridal shower and her day after the wedding brunch. Now Katie and I headed to Skimmer's on two separate occasions, to give it a try, and see if all the positive reviews on Yelp were well deserved. Our first trip was a to-go order, and here is what we got.


Up first are their Crouton Fries with Chipotle Dipping sauce. These were very rich and garlicky. I am a big fan of garlic, but these were almost too much for me. I did like the sauce that went with these though, it had a good taste and the texture was right. Katie did not seem to care for these, as she only had two, and was done with them.


The Skimmer's menu is tough to navigate, I had a few choices that I would have liked to have tried, so it was difficult for me to narrow down my choice. I settled on the Miami Grilled Sandwich with Potato Salad as a side item. The Miami sandwich is trying to go for that Cuban sandwich vibe. Roasted pork, ham, swiss cheese, pickles, mayo, and mustard come on this. I liked this sandwich, you could tell that the Boar's Head Brand meats that they used were all sliced fresh. The sourdough bread was nice and toasted. Unfortunately, Katie had to make a stop to get an iced tea, so this sandwich had cooled considerably before I got a chance to try it hot. I thought that the potato salad was just okay, nothing made it stand out.


Katie ordered the Iron Chicken sandwich. This sandwich had garlic chicken breast, black forest ham, tomato, swiss, and citrus mayo. She felt that the citrus mayo made this sandwich, and added something that you would not expect. The chicken she felt was cooked well. She would get this sandwich again.


On our second trip to Skimmer's, Katie got the OC sandwich. Turkey, avocado, goat cheese, chipotle-lime mayo, all on 8-grain wheat. She liked the smoothness of the goat cheese and avocado but felt that this overpowered the turkey, and made the meat a non-factor. She liked that this was a lighter choice, and would get this again.


 I chose to go with the Rubenini. This sandwich featured corned beef, sauerkraut, swiss, and thousand island dressing. This was a good sandwich, and much better when we ate it there because it came out warm. There was lots of cheese on this, and the amount of meat on this was adequate, I would have liked a little more. The coleslaw that I got to go with this sandwich was just okay, nothing memorable.


We got dessert this trip and went with the Brownie Bash. I am not sure if it was because we have not had ice cream in so long, or if we were just really hungry, but this tasted fantastic. Four scoops of Dryer's ice cream, along with brownie bites, caramel, and hot fudge topping on it, made this dessert a winner. We practically licked the bowl clean.

Skimmers is a nice alternative to the sandwich chains. The sandwiches are a little more expensive than Subway, and Togo's, but they are fresher. I wish they would upgrade their side dishes. They were all bland, and you are better off getting a bag of chips. I look forward to future visits to trying their Buffalo Chicken sandwich. The staff at Skimmer's is young but were competent. It is also nice that this is owned by a local couple, and you can tell that they are invested in the community.

So out of five pool toys, (because they always get stuck in pool skimmers), five being best, to zero being worst Skimmer's gets 3 pool toys.

For more information on Skimmer's click here: https://skimmerspaninigrill.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment