Thursday, March 4, 2010

P.F. Chang's a Dynasty?


P.F. Chang's
61 Fortune Road
Irvine, CA 92618

I told some people that I was going to blog about P.F. Chang's, and I got a wide array of reactions. Some people really love this place, (my Mom), and some people find their food bland, or "too Americanized". I fit right into the middle of these two places. I never go out of my way to eat here, but I am never really that disappointed with my experiences at P.F. Chang's.

P.F. Chang's has many locations in the US and now they even have two international spots in Mexico City and Kuwait City, both opened last year. The location in Irvine is always humming with activity and the Sunday that we visited was the same. The dark wood of this eatery really gives it a sleek look. Let's see if the food can measure up.


We ordered four dishes to share between the four of us. I am always nervous that we will not have enough food, because I can eat my fair share, and then some, but this seemed like the right amount to start. The picture above is the Chang's Spicy Chicken. Like all of their food, this came out piping hot. It had a good mild flavor, I would not say spicy, but there was a little something there.


Sorry for the blurriness of the next two pictures, but it is difficult to snap pictures of food quickly when you know everyone is ready to eat, oh the life of a food blogger. Above is the Sweet and Sour Pork. This was not my choice, and I have to admit I was disappointed with this selection. The sauce was too heavy and the pineapple and bell peppers tasted awkward. I could not put my finger on what was going on here, but it just did not taste right to me. I used to love sweet and sour pork, but now I think my tastes have shifted to more spicy dishes.


It's funny I just get done writing how my tastes have switched from sweet to spicy, and then I have to tell you that above was my choice for a dish, the Crispy Honey Shrimp. I love shrimp and this plate did not disappoint. The shrimp was not over battered and the sauce was very sweet, but not overly sweet. I also really liked the texture of this, it really did have a crispness to it.


Next up is the Dan Dan Noodles. Garlic, scallions, chili peppers and ground chicken served over noodles, make up this flavorful dish. I really enjoyed the heat that this plate brought. Very tasty, and I highly recommend this. Kind of a Chinese spaghetti.


As you can see from my plate above, I did have plenty to eat, and there was no need to worry about ordering more than four plates. The portions seemed about right.


Lastly, this is the Banana Spring Rolls. I had never had dessert at P.F. Chang's before, and after my Mom told the waiter that I was going to be blogging about this place, he gave us this dessert. The best part of this dessert was the coconut-pineapple ice cream. Very good flavor, maybe because I was expecting vanilla the ice cream really made an impression. The banana spring rolls were okay, and the presentation of this dessert was very good.

So just like all of the times I had been to P.F. Chang's, I liked the meal I had. The service is usually pretty good, considering how busy they are, but I just never really crave P.F. Chang's. Maybe I am just not a Chinese food guy, or maybe I have just not had the right kind of Chinese food. So if you know of a, "must go to", Chinese place, leave me a comment and let me hear about it.


Out of five fortune cookies, five being best to zero being worst, P.F. Chang's gets 2.5 fortune cookies.

For more information and the locations of the many P.F. Chang's, click here: https://www.pfchangs.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment