Friday, March 5, 2010

Grilling It Up at Big Grill BBQ - CLOSED


Big Grill Mongolian BBQ
28601 Marguerite Pkwy.
Mission Viejo, CA 92692

Before my recent Big Grill Mongolian BBQ trip, I had never been to a Mongolian restaurant, and even after my visit, I still haven't. After doing some research, I found out that Mongolian barbeque was really invented in Taiwan in the mid-to-late 20th century. What a sham! I hope the food is good enough to get me over my disappointment.

Big Grill is not too much to look at. The drab restaurant is located in a Mission Viejo strip mall. On this Saturday night, there were about ten to fifteen people eating here during our visit. There are about five waiters for these six tables, so the service was really good. After being seated, you are handed a menu and asked if you are going to have the buffet. After replying yes, we headed off to the buffet line.


You stuff your bowl with the above curls of beef or pork. They also have chicken and lamb. Next, you add your vegetables. They feature onions, carrots, cucumbers, and more. I also included noodles in my heaping bowl. Lastly, you add the oil. They have three suggested recipes for the cooking oil that you add to your bowl, depending on your mood. These range from spicy to lemony. 

 

Here are the bowls before we handed them to the cook. We sprinkled them with garlic powder and sesame seeds.


Here is the cook preparing our bowls. He does one at a time, so when this place gets busy, the line does get backed up. It takes about three minutes per bowl.



Now, here is the finished product. Mine is on the bottom, and I added Rooster Chili Sauce. It's really great tasting food. It's not too oily, and all of the ingredients were really fresh. Katie really liked hers, too.

The price was right here, too. It was $11 for dinner, and I think I saw that it was $9 for lunch. That is an excellent price for all you can eat. I made two trips through the buffet, and after those two trips, I was stuffed. Rice and rolls are included in the price of the buffet.

Out of five spatulas (in honor of the cooks here), five being best to zero being worst, I give Big Grill Mongolian BBQ three spatulas.

Big Grill does not have a website, but you can find some information here: http://www.yelp.com/biz/big-grill-mongolian-bbq-mission-viejo

15 comments:

  1. I actually liked the review! And it sounds like I might go give this a try. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. anonymous, thanks for the comment, hope you do like it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have eaten at "Big Grill" many times. Your story was a fair assessment.
    However if you want to taste excellent Mongolian BBQ (Whatever that is) try "Genghis Khan Mongolian BBQ" in Lake Forest. It is behind Fuddruckers on El Toro. I have been going there since 1981.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been going to this restaurant once every week or two for the past several years. The service is good (owners & staff not much personality), the food is GREAT and fresh, the restaurant is clean (a bit simple) but if it keeps the cost down I'm all for it. I have taken my family and most of my friends here, and they love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, if you want good mongolian BBQ, than Genghis Khan Mongolian BBQ in Lake Forest is a must!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been going to Big Grill for years! Yep, it's a whole in the wall, but it is a great value. The food is fresh and healthy. I give it a 5!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hadn't even heard of this one, but like the others I had been to the Ghengis Khan in Lake Forest although not for several years. Used to go there more. It was good and the prices were very reasonable, especially Sunday afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi,

    I have a wine tasting event coming up:

    Zinfandel Grand Tasting & Cookoff
    Sunday, April 18th 4:00-7:00 p.m.
    Palm Garden at the Island Hotel

    660 Newport Center Road
    Newport Beach, CA 92660

    If you would like to hold a contest for your readers, I can provide you with tickets for the winner.

    Please contact me if you would like to participate in holding a contest.

    Thank you!

    Lori Olsen
    editorial@great-taste.net

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am going there this Saturday for dinner with a friend. First time! Hope I like it!.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Was down in the general area of this place a couple of weekends ago - looks like it's closed.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous - I will have to see if this place is still open the next time I am in the area. Thanks for the comment and the info.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The place is open, the food is good, the cooks are really cool but the service (owner & waiters) is probably the worst I have ever had.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous - Thanks for saving me a trip down there. Good to know they are still open. I have heard the same thing about the service here recently. Not a good sign. Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I find myself confused when reconciling your 3 spatula rating with the text of your review.

    The description of how you viewed the restaurant in standard food review categories suggest to me that it was a 4 (if not a 5).

    Ambiance/Appearance: "not much to look at...drab"
    Service: "really good"
    Food: "really great tasting...really fresh"
    Value: "excellent price for all you can eat"

    Did you give more weight the ambiance category? Given your praise
    in other areas, what could the restaurant have done better to garner a higher rating?

    For my part, I have been there a couple times and agree with the points you make. I give the place a 4.

    ReplyDelete
  15. PNS - The food here is good, but a 4 or 5 rating would really have to blow me away. This restaurant is slightly above average, but not anything that I crave on a regular basis.

    As you can see from the other ratings, we have given 20 restaurants four or more ratings. That is out of 300+ restaurants. Only six percent of restaurants we have gone to get a 4 or more.

    Even though my review of this place was favorable, this place is not one of the top 6% of places we have eaten. Guess I am guilty of being too harsh of a critic.

    Thanks for the comment and reading the blog!

    ReplyDelete