Sunday, December 29, 2019

Best Restaurants of 2019

The years just keep rolling by quicker and quicker these days. When I was a kid it seemed like it took forever for Christmas to get here. Now that I'm a bit older, it feels like it was just last week that all of the Christmas decorations were put away. As is the tradition of not only this restaurant blog but almost every publication around this time of year, it's time to let you all know the top ten restaurants I ate at during 2019, but first, a word of thanks.

I'd like to thank not only the following ten restaurants that are on my upcoming list but all of the restaurants I had the pleasure of eating at during the past 12 months. Restaurants have always been magical places for me. As a kid, I was always in awe that a place could make pretty much whatever I wanted to put in my mouth at any given moment. This enchanted feeling continued in 2019 with the assistance of the numerous hosts/hostesses greeting us, to the wait staff, bussers, cooks, dishwashers, chefs, and managers of the restaurants trying to ensure that we as guests had a wonderful experience in their dining establishments. As someone that works in the service industry, I am in constant awe of the many awesome people that we meet in pretty much every restaurant we visit.

Speaking of great people, I definitely need to thank my family and friends who have put up with my endless picture taking at every meal, the constant questions that I ask about how they enjoy their food, and for them allowing me to pick most of the places that we end up eating at. My number one supporter and cheerleader is my beautiful wife Katie, who not only is my partner in life but suffers through almost every meal you have read about on this blog for the last ten years. Words can not express what it means to have her by my side for not only the last decade but for the rest of my life.

Lastly, I'd like to thank all of you that have stuck with me through this journey of eating and discovering all the restaurants that our wonderful county and beyond has to offer. These days blogs are not really in vogue anymore. It's more of an instant gratification world now, with Instagram pictures, social media posts, videos, and whatever the latest app the kids are using for the next two days before another one hits their phones. My sincerest of thanks for anyone that has taken the time to read my subpar writing and glanced at my photos. I promise a creative writing class and a better camera are definitely in the works. Thanks for taking the time to read and comment on my posts. It means the world to me that people take the time to read my thoughts about restaurants. Now without further ado let's see the best restaurants we experienced in 2019.


#10 Restaurant Mary - Santa Ana

Not only is this the first restaurant on this list, but it was also the first restaurant we ate at this year. Early in the year, I was obsessed with a chilaquiles list that was put out by the OC Weekly. Restaurant Mary had the best I had this year. Very unassuming place in Santa Ana that makes not only great chilaquiles but everything else we had was excellent as well. Worth a visit.


#9 The Scratch Room - Anaheim

Due to my work schedule for a good majority of the year, I did not really get a chance to visit too many breakfast spots. The Scratch Room was one of the rare exceptions. Crazy busy on the weekends, but worth it with their down-home breakfast plates and probably one of the best slices of banana bread I have had in a restaurant.


#8 Vaka Burger - Irvine

OC residents need to rejoice, as an LA favorite, Vaka Burger has moved south to the new Mess Hall in Irvine. I've visited twice and have loved all the burgers I've inhaled. Forgo the fries and get the best onion rings we have had in a long time.



#7 Din Tai Fung - Costa Mesa

We were very late getting on the Din Tai Fung bandwagon. This restaurant has been at South Coast Plaza for five years now and it's easy to see why there is almost always a wait of an hour plus to get a table. Their dumplings and other options are all top-notch and fresh.


#6 Pino's Cucina - Ladera Ranch

The only Italian spot on our top ten list this year, and thankfully it's right near where we live. Ladera Ranch is not exactly swimming in great restaurants, but Pino's Cucina is one of the rare anomalies in this South OC city. The pasta is freshly made, the sauces burst with flavor, and the proteins are all done perfectly. Consider yourself lucky if you live near here, as we do.



#5 Pascal - San Juan Capistrano

The only restaurant on this list that you can't eat at. Unfortunately, they shut down for good at the end of March. Even better than the duck, french onion soup, and lyonnaise salad that I consumed here, all of which were fantastic, is that Chef Pascal Olhats is feeling much better after battling cancer. He's back teaching French cooking classes at Saddleback College and also working lunches and other special events at Cafe Jardin at Sherman's Gardens in Corona Del Mar. Head there for some great French food from the most legendary chef OC has ever known.



#4 Jav's BBQ - Anaheim

It was a very good year for barbecue in OC, and Jav's is the first of two barbecue spots in our top 4. Located across the street from the Anaheim Packing House, this small stand serves excellent brisket, sausage, and ribs, but do not sleep on the best macaroni and cheese we have had all year. Definitely worth the hassle of finding parking around this part of downtown Anaheim.



#3 Pour Co. - Fullerton

I don't understand why this restaurant doesn't get more love. I've been back three times, and that never happens. Pour Co. is a little off the beaten path of the craziness that is Downtown Fullerton, but if you want to consume the best hamburger I ate all year, you need to head here right away. Save room for the cinnamon roll ice cream sandwich for dessert. You will not be sorry.


#2 Evan's Smokehouse - Yorba Linda

When I was growing up in the land of gracious living, we never had a restaurant like Evan's Smokehouse. Situated on a dirt lot across from a parking structure in the new downtown area, Evan's is turning out some of the best bbq in OC right now. Once you try their brisket, ribs, and potato salad, you will dream of the day when they get their brick and mortar restaurant and be open for business more than just the Friday, Saturday, and Sunday evenings that they are now. Fingers crossed that it happens in 2020.


#1 Ocean at Main - Laguna Beach

Grabbing the number one restaurant spot for 2019 is newcomer, Ocean at Main. Not really a surprise when you find out that Chef Craig Strong, formerly of the award-winning Studio at the Montage has branched out on his own right in the heart of Laguna. We found the food to be playful, full of flavor and possessing an understated elegance that wowed us. Not only the best new restaurant in 2019 but the best we ate at all year.

Thanks again for taking the time to read this blog, and I look forward to sharing more of our restaurant adventures with you in 2020 and well into the next decade.

7 comments:

  1. Thanks for keeping this blog up to date and fresh. It is our go-to source when we want get out our rut of usual restaurants down here in Dana Point and have a little culinary adventure elsewhere in the OC.
    Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for the kind words. Best of the new year to you and yours in 2020.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great list. I have tried last than half of these! Looks like I have alot of catching up to do!��Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing such a nice blog on Best Restaurants in Covington LA. This blog helps specially those who are searching for best resturants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great site with great post...i think post plays a very good role in developing a blog much better...I must say, a good attempt from your side...i really appreciate your work....well done....keep doing good work… Hotels in Downtown Knoxville, TN

    ReplyDelete
  5. MYLYN Asian Cuisine & Sushi ist das beste Sushi-Restaurant in Baden-Baden.Wir bieten typisch japanische Gerichte wie Sushi, Sashimi, Tempura mit Teriyaki an. Wir bieten auch thailändisches Essen wie Pad Thai oder vietnamesische Pho-Suppe.

    For more information visit our website:

    Restaurants

    ReplyDelete