Sunday, January 6, 2019

A Bewitching Breakfast at HEXX - CLOSED


HEXX Kitchen and Bar
3655 South Las Vegas Blvd.
Las Vegas, NV 89109

It was time for our annual trip to the desert to watch our beloved Ducks take on the upstarts from Las Vegas, the Golden Knights. Last year's trip with my parents did not go exactly as planned. Not only did we have to deal with watching the Ducks lose in overtime, but we also had the displeasure of having to eat at Wahlburgers, per my mom's request.  She's a big fan of the reality TV show, we were not a fan of their below average burgers and tourist trap surroundings.

This trip was going to be different. Even though our Ducks had started with many injuries, I had a feeling they would beat the Knights, who had been struggling near the bottom of the standings. I also made the executive decision that I'd pick the places we ate on this trip, so that meant no chance of getting caught in a restaurant that would end up being one of the worst we ate at last year. At least, that's what I had hoped.

We got into Las Vegas a lot earlier than we did last year, so I decided that a brunch spot would be an excellent choice. We could walk it off getting back to our hotel and get the added bonus of taking a quick nap before the hockey game. I had never heard of HEXX before, but it intrigued me because it had over 2,500 reviews and a four-star rating on Yelp. That's pretty impressive on Yelp, where most people just like to rant and complain.

HEXX is located at the Paris Hotel, right across from the Bellagio Fountains and next to another of my favorite Vegas restaurants, Mon Ami Gabi. HEXX is in the former Sugar Factory space, and the kitchen is helmed by the former Sugar Factory Executive Chef Matthew Piekarski, who developed the menu at HEXX along with Chef Matthew Silverman. They came up with a menu that features classic American cuisine and integrates contemporary influences into it.

They definitely had their work cut out for them, as HEXX is open from 6 a.m. until midnight, seven days a week. They serve brunch until 4 p.m. and also feature lunch and dinner menus during the day. We had no problem getting a table at this sometimes very busy restaurant because it was midweek when we were here, and I had quickly made a reservation on OpenTable once we landed at the airport.

We loved the vibe once we were seated in this huge restaurant. It felt like it had an updated country club feel. There were a lot of white fixtures and walls, a lovely patio that I imagine would get a lot more use when the weather was a bit warmer, and comfy tables and chairs. The menu is separated into starters, entree salads, sandwiches, brunch items, and pizzas. Prices hover right around the $20 mark for most entrees, with the most expensive thing on the brunch menu being the Steak and Eggs, which will set you back $25. Those are reasonable prices for an upscale breakfast joint on the strip. Let's see if the food impresses as much as the atmosphere does.


As I have stated numerous times on this blog, I love having a sweet and savory item for my first meal of the day. At HEXX, that meant I'd definitely be trying the Twisted Sticky Bun ($9) to start with. This pastry featured toasted pecans, a light cream cheese frosting, and a generous drizzle of caramel sauce on the roll and the plate. This was an excellent start to our meal here, and yes, I did share. One of the lightest breakfast pastries I have had. The roll was light and airy, the cream cheese did not overpower but still had a sweet taste, and the pecans added a nice crunch. Really solid and way better than what you can get at your local Cinnabon.



My dad and I are usually similar in what we like to order, so I always have a backup entree just in case he orders what I want. This happened at HEXX; he got the Chilaquiles ($17) before I did. This version of my favorite Mexican breakfast came with chicken, sliced jalapenos, two eggs, avocado, sour cream, and asadero cheese, an off-white Mexican cheese, like mozzarella. My dad got a little full and let me finish the rest of his meal. I liked this but felt the chips could have been fried more, and it was a little on the dry side. Maybe more of a sauce to tie it all together? The eggs were done over hard like my dad had requested, and these particular jalapenos packed a punch this morning. Very spicy, just the way I like them. 




Katie and my mom got the same thing this morning, a bonus, as it's less reading. They got the Breakfast Croissant ($14 plus $2 with an egg). This breakfast sandwich usually comes with ham, but both Katie and my mom opted for bacon instead, and the kitchen at HEXX complied big time with their request, as they added at least four strips of bacon, if not more, to this sandwich, which also included some aged cheddar cheese and excellent home fries.  I'm not sure why they don't just automatically add an egg to a breakfast sandwich, but this was one of the best ones my mom has had. She loved it, as did Katie.


My dad, taking my first choice, left me with my second one, the HEXX Benedict ($16). This traditional benedict came with two perfectly poached eggs and a good but understated hollandaise sauce on top of Canadian bacon, asparagus, and scalloped potatoes. This dish was delicious and well crafted, but I was hoping for a big pop of flavor. My mistake was picking the most benign item on the menu. Next time, the corned beef hash, meat omelet, or HEXX burger will be my pick for brunch.


When I made our reservation online, I made a note of letting HEXX know that it was my mom's birthday. They, in turn, gave her a nice and festive Chocolate Mousse Cake. This was a lovely surprise and an excellent send-off for our long walk back to our hotel and our much-needed nap before the game later in the evening.

I was impressed with HEXX this morning. When we are in Vegas, Bouchon is usually our go-to breakfast place. Bouchon is better but also more expensive and stuffy, so HEXX might become our spot on some of our visits to this desert oasis. I'd also like to come back here and try their dinner. See how they cook their steaks and give their burger a go. Service on this particular morning was solid, as our server kept things moving along and checked on us regularly. This part of our short stay in Las Vegas started out better than when we had to eat at Wahlburgers, but the hockey game? Not so much.

Out of five chocolate bars (because HEXX also makes bean-to-bar chocolate, which is available for sale at their adjacent retail space at the Paris Hotel), five being best to zero being worst, HEXX Kitchen and Bar gets 3.5 chocolate bars.

For more information about HEXX Kitchen and Bar, head to their website here: https://www.hexxlasvegas.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment