Monday, May 7, 2018

Anniversary Dinner Part One


La Bettola
18504 Yorba Linda Blvd. 
Yorba Linda, CA 92886

It's anniversary time, and that means that both sets of our parents want to take Katie and me out to celebrate our three years of wedded bliss. Between our parents, they have 97 years of marriage combined. Some pretty impressive stuff there and definitely something to aspire towards. I'm always up for a dinner with our parents, not only will we get a free meal out of the situation, but we might be able to glean a little insight into a lasting marriage. First up was dinner with my parents and a visit back to my hometown of Yorba Linda, and a restaurant I've wanted to try for years, La Bettola.

La Bettola is situated on the corner of Lakeview and Yorba Linda Boulevard, in the middle of the tiny Firestone Village shopping center which also includes a 7-Eleven, Auto Zone, and Round Table Pizza. They have been here for over 15 years, and this would be me and my parents first visit, even though my parents have lived in the Land of Gracious Living for over 40 years.

Very dim, but brightened up a bit with stringed lighting hanging from the ceiling. There are maybe 15 or so tables in this Italian bistro, but even in this rather small space, I did not feel like we were right on top of other diners. The menu here was different from what appears online. The online menu features many items that are not listed on the restaurant menu we were given, but we were assured by our server that they could make whatever we were craving. Prices range from $15 to $28 for the pasta entrees, and the more substantial chicken, veal, and steak entrees are priced at $20 all the way up to $34 for their New York steak. Even though my parents were generous enough to be paying the bill this evening, I was not going to take advantage and have the steak. Let's take a look at what we did have though.



Bread service was up first for us, and we all really enjoyed this Foccacia sliced in strips. It went well when we dipped it in the olive oil and balsamic. Our server was very generous about refilling this as we went through three baskets of this fresh bread without even blinking an eye.



I love it when Italian restaurants include a salad in the price of an entree. It's a nice touch, and it was the case here at La Bettola. The salad in the top picture is their House Salad, which included a nice selection of mixed greens, shaved carrots, and tomato with a house dressing that was a very solid creamy vinaigrette. I'm usually partial to Caesar Salads ($4.50 upcharge), but here I thought it was just pretty average and not worth the extra money for the more superior house salad. The Caesar, which included hearts of romaine, garlic croutons, and dressing, was definitely missing something. It might have needed a stronger hand when applying the dressing, or maybe some large squares of parmesan would have livened up this drab Caesar.


My mom was pretty heartbroken to see that spaghetti was not on the menu like she saw when she perused the online version before coming here, but true to their word, La Bettola made her something that was not listed on their menu. This Spaghetti Bolognese ($17.95) was a very generous serving, which my mom allowed me to take her uneaten portion home for lunch the next day. I really enjoyed the bolognese sauce, which had some good hunks of meat in it, and the pasta was done nicely. If this would have been my entree I probably would have added some sausage to this dish to make it even better.



When I was looking at the pictures of the food at La Bettola on Yelp, I knew I would be having this Fettuccine Meatball ($24.95). Yes, that is a softball-sized meatball sitting on top of a plate of fettuccine. The meatball included some cheese inside and was very dense. When I ate this in the restaurant I was kind of underwhelmed, but my leftovers tasted awesome. Maybe the sauce, noodles, and the meatball had some time to meld together more. I find that Italian leftovers always taste better the next day, not sure why that is. I admit that I got this for the wow factor it would cause on Instagram, and I'd probably not get it again on future visits, but it ended up being a pretty solid meatball and pasta dish.



My dad picked out something that I also had my eye on, the Linguine Mala Femina ($21.95). This linguine is joined on the plate with chicken, sausage, sundried tomatoes, cajun spices, and a mellow white wine sauce. This dish had a slightly spicy tinge to it. The sausage was not as prominent as I would have liked, but another solid dish. My dad, whose appetite is not as voracious as it once was, had no problem finishing this plate off, which was definitely a good sign that he enjoyed this meal.



Last but not least, Katie would be having this Ravioli Special ($34.95 with chicken added). Inside the ravioli were mushroom and cheese, with a wine-based sauce covering the well-made ravioli. She found the sauce to be delicious, while the ravioli themselves were good, but did not knock her socks off. She'd try another dish the next time she visited La Bettola.

After leaving La Bettola I had mixed feelings about this experience. First, I wish they would update their menu to include everything that they offer. The online menu shows way more than the stripped-down menu that is presented to you tableside, and pictures on Yelp show even more items that are not listed on either the online or hard copy menu. Very confusing. I also do not usually comment on the pricing at the restaurants we eat at, but La Bettola's price point seems to be a little out of whack, especially Katie's ravioli. Without the ten-dollar chicken topping her ravioli, her meal still would have cost $25 for five ravioli that contained only mushroom and cheese. A little excessive. The food was fine here, but not good enough to warrant a return visit from us. Nothing really wowed us, but I think La Bettola is good for the people of Yorba Linda, a city that needs more independent, locally-owned restaurants within its city borders, especially when it comes to Italian food. Very happy my parents took us out to dinner, and even happier if we can live up to their great example of what a marriage should be like. 

Out of five taverns, (because bettola translates to a tavern in Italian, another thing that people from Yorba Linda have to do without), five being best to zero being worst, La Bettola gets 3 taverns.

La Bettola does not have a website, but you can find out more information about them n their Yelp page here: https://www.yelp.com/biz/la-bettola-yorba-linda

No comments:

Post a Comment