Sunday, January 7, 2018

A Reader's Tip Brings Us to Antonio's


Antonio's Mexican Food
5771 La Palma Ave. 
Anaheim, CA 92807

I'm not usually this fast at getting around to readers tips. For the most part, people will give me a restaurant suggestion, and then I put it on my restaurant wish list. It usually sits there until we are in the area of the restaurant, and then we end up visiting. John from Twitter had told me that I must give Antonio's in Anaheim a try.

That tweet was from December 1st, and I found myself at Antonio's six days later. It just so happened that I had a dentist appointment nearby, and after a trip to the dentist, I definitely felt like I should reward myself with some Mexican food. I called my sister and had her meet me at Antonio's, which is located in the same shopping center as a Marie Callender's, Carl's Jr., and a Wholesome Choice at the corner of Imperial Highway and La Palma Avenue.

John had given me a little info on his favorite Mexican restaurant. It was run by two brothers, Mario and Eddie, and the rest of the family pitches in and works there as well. He also said that it's a very local place, as they know almost everyone that walks in the door. I was definitely intrigued.

We got to Antonio's just before noon on a Wednesday. John wasn't kidding, this place is small but cozy. If you are getting your food for here, take a seat at one of the ten or so tables and they'll take your order there. The menu is pretty basic, with combo plates, burritos, a few seafood items, and tostadas. Make sure to check out their white erase board for additional specials and offerings. Prices are pretty inexpensive, as only a few items reach the double-digit mark, and most of those are the seafood options. 




Since I was running a little late, my sister had ordered a side of Guacamole ($3.89) to go along with the Chips and Salsa. The guacamole was very fresh and had a good flavor to it. I thought the serving size for the small was very generous. The chips and salsa were okay. The salsa was a little too thin for my taste. I like a little more chunk to my salsa. It did have the tiniest of spice kicks to it, which was appreciated. The chips were pretty average.



My sister had wanted just an enchilada and taco ala carte, but it ended up being cheaper getting this Cheese Enchilada and Carne Asada Taco Combination ($7.49). She was pretty excited by this meal. She really liked the cheesiness of the enchilada and the mellow enchilada sauce that they use here. The carne asada at Antonio's is pretty solid, and a lot of it was included in her taco. I liked that they were pretty heavy handed with the cilantro and onions on this, and they chop their beef into very little pieces. I did not try the beans or rice, but no complaints from my sister.



I was hungry after skipping breakfast because of my dentist appointment, so I ordered both a Carnitas Burrito Supreme ($7.49) and a small order of their Asada Fries ($7.99). This ended up being quite a bit of food. The burrito supreme comes with your choice of meats, beans, and cheese on the inside, and then is topped with sour cream and guacamole. The burrito was okay. Not too much pork inside of it, and I think they forgot to add the cheese. It basically ended up being a bean burrito with sour cream and guacamole on top. The asada fries looked really pretty on the plate, but they kind of fell flat. The asada was good, but the rest of the plate kind of suffered. The fries came out lukewarm at best, there was not enough cheese, and the cheese that was on here melted onto the paper plate. I ended up leaving almost half of this.

Antonio's ended up being fine, but I did not really think it was anything above average. It's a decent choice if you are in the neighborhood and craving Mexican food. John wasn't kidding when he mentioned that these are some really nice people that run this place. They really made us feel welcome from the start. Prices seemed more than fair and the portion sizes were generous. I'm glad we could get to John's suggestion quickly, and look forward to going to more readers restaurant picks this year.

Out of five footballs, (because Antonio Brwon lead my fantasy football team to a solid third-place finish this year, and in honor of the football playoffs starting this week), five being best to zero being worst, Antonio's Mexican Food gets 2.5 footballs.

Antonio's does not have a website, but you can find more information about them on their Yelp page here: https://www.yelp.com/biz/antonios-mexican-food-anaheim



No comments:

Post a Comment