Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Rockin Out at the Slidebar - CLOSED


The Slidebar
124 E. Commonwealth Ave.
Fullerton, CA 92832

It is so rare that Katie and I get up to Fullerton, so we took this opportunity to try out Slidebar. I had been here once, right when they opened about four years ago. I remember it being loud and really busy. This trip was a little different. When we walked in on this Saturday night at seven, the restaurant inside was deserted, except for one other table of two. All of the action was out on the patio, and people kept on coming, but they all headed out to the patio.

The only things I know about this place are that the band members of Lit are investors in this place and that this place has a reputation for not having the coolest clientele hanging out here. The reviews on yelp, make this restaurant sound like you will get beat up if you look at someone the wrong way. They have bands that play here, so maybe that is when the violence starts. Luckily for Katie and me, we are going to be long gone by the time the slam dancing starts. On to the food.


For the first of our two appetizers, we got the Irish Nachos pictured above. French fries are covered in cheese, bacon, cheese, green onions, and cheese. Did I mention that these had cheese? I love cheese, and this almost had too much for me. The fries were really good, and after dipping these into the ranch, they were fried pieces of heaven. Maybe the cheese overpowered us because we were only two people trying to eat our weight in cheese, but I would definitely get these again.



Of course, the last thing that I would want after our last appetizer would be more cheese, but you know me, I am a glutton for punishment. We had to order their famous Macaroni and Cheese. I am a moderate fan of macaroni and cheese, but this one is pretty good. I think I remember the menu saying that they used five different kinds of cheese in this, Fontina, cheddar, Parmesan, Velveeta, and jack cheese. The cheese stuck to the noodles very well and had a real creamy taste. It was a little browned on the top, good portion size for an appetizer.



I ordered the Straight Out of Hell Burger. This burger was invented by former Pantera guitarist, Dimebag Darrell. It has jalapenos, yellow peppers, bacon, cheese, onion rings, and a spicy barbeque sauce. Usually, when an item says spicy, it is not. This for sure was! It was not an uncomfortable heat, but it was pretty close. The toppings were the real star here, the bacon was cooked well, and the cheese kind of slowed the heat down. The meat was okay but was kind of unnoticeable with all of the other stuff going on. Good solid burger. I also liked the grill marks on the top of the bun for some reason, it kind of looked cool.


Katie opted to get the Tequila, Chicken, and Sausage Pasta. This is tossed tableside, and that is when they add the shot of tequila, so it does not cook off. I liked this dish when I had half of it the day after for lunch. The sausage was really good, and the sauce had a good flavor. Some extra Parmesan cheese would have been good on this. Katie, on the other hand, thought that this dish was too tangy for her taste. She was not a fan of the sausage, and would not get this again.

Slidebar is a must for OC music fans. The place is adorned with all sorts of memorabilia from Orange County bands. Even if you are not a fan of music, the food is pretty good also. Our service was pretty good, but they only had three tables filled when we left. I would definitely come back here again.

Out of five guitar picks, (for obvious reasons), five being best to zero being worst, Slidebar gets 3 guitar picks.

Slidebar does not have a website, but click here for reviews and information; http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-slidebar-fullerton

No comments:

Post a Comment